Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumb_jones

Soooo many flies!

greenthumb.jones
11 years ago

My husband and I moved from the city to the country last year. We are living on about 9 acres - it is currently covered in very tall grass, with 3 creeks and some stands of trees (along creek). The surrounding area is farmland/forest/open grassland. The thing is though, we have SO MANY FLIES. If you are outside, you are constantly slapping at them. They seem to be mostly house flies with the occasional biting fly. They are driving us crazy - you can't sit or eat outside without getting mobbed by flies (happens anywhere on the property). We started putting up those bag fly traps early this year, but even though they fill with flies, it doesn't seem to make a dent. Our trash has a lid on it at all times as well. A few questions for you all:

1) We are building a straw bale house on the property and there is currently a pretty large pile of discarded bales that sat out all winter. We didn't have these last year and the flies were still horrible, but could this be a source?

2) Would mowing the grass help at all? It is a lot of grass, but I would be happy to mow if it would reduce the flies.

3) We have a dog whose waste we aren't currently picking up (she seems to prefer a specific area that is well out of the way) - could just one dog be generating this problem?

Please help! I'd love to spend more time outside, but they drive me crazy.

Comments (5)