Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poseyjungle

What's eating my garden?

poseyjungle
15 years ago

I planted a (very) small vegetable garden this year, and, for the life of me, I can't figure out what's eating my plants. In the last couple of months, I've lost several tomato plants from a six-pack (I thought tomato leaves were poisonous to mammals), a large parsley plant was mown to the ground, and my mint, bean, and basil plants disappeared overnight. Yesterday, I came out to find that a rosemary plant in a 4" pot had been eaten - it looked like somebody had taken a chain saw to it. Now, this was a woody plant, so whatever it was ate a lot of sticks along with the leaves. And there's a mature rosemary plant about five feet away that wasn't touched.

We live near the edge of parkland in the Santa Monica Mountains, and I've seen rats, raccoons, coyotes, and squirrels in the yard in the past, and deer and rabbits across the street. (I don't think deer could get in the yard, though - it's a small lot and partially fenced. And it seems unlikely that rabbits are doing the damage, because some of the tomato leaves the mystery critter is munching are pretty high off the ground.)

Do any of you have any idea what could be eating my plants?

Comments (4)