Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speckled Leaves

Posted by LillardsFord VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 17:10

Does anyone know what is going on with my leaves? They are green and white speckled. It is happening on my Bush Snap Beans, Long Improved Cucumbers, and starting on my Conneticut Field Pumpkins.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speckled Leaves

That's one or both of two critters....spider mites and/or leaf hoppers.

o

turn over leaf.. do you see little green bugs.. sucking the vital juices out of the leaf ???

if so.. mites ...

do you see any impact.. other than visual.. on the plants ... a food product.. does not have to look pretty .. to bear a crop ...

ken

o

Ken! Little green bugs are aphids, not mites. A serious infestation such as this can quickly lead to the decline and death of the host plant. The only time that this should go unattended is if the plants are past their production stage...or if you are sick and tired of beans, cukes, and pumpkins.

o

correct.. take a blank piece of paper.. and shake the plant over it.. if you see little moving specks.. mites ..

but.. inarticulate as i was.. do look for aphids ... i was adding a variable.. not dismissing hers ...

prevention.. or spotting the problem earlier.. would have been nice.. make a note in your journal.. for next year ...

but rhiz.. whats the cure??? .. if any??? mites on conifers can be blasted off with water ... same on veggies??? .. though i presume.. they will take a lot less blasting ...

ken

o

Thank you for the inforation. I inspected the underside of the leaves (on the beans) and saw tiny black spots, I tried to rub one off and it didn't budge. Next to the beans on my Melons I saw tons of black bugs on the top side of the leaves, when I went to get them they appeared to jump off. Can aphids be black?
Also, the texture of the damaged leaves are dry and almost leathery, remindes me of the cringled streamers you put up for kids birthday parties.

o

Aphids don't jump. Spider mites are practically invisible to the naked eye, unless you really know what you are looking for. Teensy weensy little specks.

o

I'm not sure if these are the pests causing the leaf damage; but they are the only ones I've seen out in the garden. They were on my melon leaves, and have now moved on to the pumpkins. I took a picture of the leaf, then a close-up (zoomed in) of the actual bug.
Any idea what it is?

o

Here is the close-up picture...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here