Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID of landscape pest

Posted by janice_tucker Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:26

Hi,

I live just south of Tampa, FL. I noticed that I have these small, flat black disc type pests. I'm not sure what they are. Then I noticed I had clusters of what appear to be egg pods throughout my yard. It looks like each of the "eggs" opens with several of these black flat disc-type pests. I thought they might be a type of scale, but can't find anywhere showing that scale "hatches" in pods like these. The pests are on Areca palms, hibiscus, agapanthus, and even migrating on to the lanai screen and house stucco. Any ideas what they are? Many thanks, in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID of landscape pest

Bird's nest fungus. Cute, don't you think?
Not a problem for man, beast, or plant.

o

Thank you so so much! I've never heard of or seen this before!! Yet one more new learning for Florida gardening. I've gardened in CA and SC, and neither were anywhere near as challenging as gardening in FL! Thanks again!!!

o

fungus.. mushrooms.. decompose your mulch or wood in your soil ...... it really has nothing to do with the plants they are near ...

so .. as jean suggests... call them cute.. and enjoy the show ...

and if you have one type.. expect other types ...

ken

o

Those little spore packets stick like glue.....you won't be able to get them off your stucco. If you have this wood mulch within several feet of your house, patio furniture, vehicles or other surfaces, you'll notice the specks. To my knowledge, there's nothing that gets the spores off. I've even known them to pit the painted surface of vehicles.

To mitigate the damage, you can apply a layer of pine straw on top of the mulch near your home. The fungi won't grow on pine straw at all, which will also block the sun, a trigger for this totally cool fungus.

The next time you apply mulch, you might consider pine BARK instead of the wood chips I see. If my memory serves me, bark also won't support the growth of this particular fungus. I first became aquainted in SC, by the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here