Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springs03_gw

Please help with muscadines

springs03
12 years ago

hello all, I live in new mexico right now, but grew up in arkansas. i always loved to eat muscadines growing up, so i decided to plant some. Now comes the problem. They are growing fine, but i have noticed that some of the new leaves are becoming deformed and are turning yellow on the outside. also some of established leaves are getting brown spots. I have used some pesticides and they do not seem to be helping.

Link to pictures http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/springs03/

All help would be appreciated!

Comments (11)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Pesticides don't help until you know the cause of the problem.

In this case, they won't help at all. The plants are running short of water.

Are they in containers? If so, why not in the ground.

If in containers, what size?
    And what did you fill it with?

• springs03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i have 3 of them in the ground and water them about a gallon every other day.. the 4th one is in a gallon container with miracle grow moisture control soil. I water it about a half a gallon twice a week. This is my second go at planting these here. the first ones i planted i over-watered them, and they all died. So maybe i got gun shy on watering. I also thought that muscadines were very drought tolerant. Maybe they need more water because they are still young plants? I usually wait till the soil is almost completely dry between watering is this correct? thanks for the quick response!

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Low on water. Make certain the entire root zone is moistened each time you water.

They may be drought tolerant but that doesn't occur until *after* they've developed a good root system. Several years are needed for that to happen.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    12 years ago

Its a mystery why Sevin would be sprayed on the plants. Nonetheless, I agree with jean's diagnosis. Usu in second or likely third year they'll be established enough to be cut back and on drip. As for that vine in the 1-gal, that poor thing will get cooked in such a small pot. I hope it will be either planted in the ground or if kept in a container, the container is much, much bigger than a 1-gal.

Dan

• springs03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i put the sevin on there because i wasnt sure if it was pests or if it was a disease, so i got something for both. The reason for the vine being in the small pot was because it was one of the original ones that i overwatered, but i cut it back to the ground and it was still green, so i put it in a small pot to nurse it back to health, but you are right it is probably time to transplant it into a bigger pot. So yalls opinions are that it most likely not leaf spot or anything of the sort? Thanks for all the help!

12 years ago

i put the sevin on there because i wasnt sure if it was pests or if it was a disease, so i got something for both.

And some wonder why urban streams have such a eutrophication burden and terrestrial biodiversity is crashing in advanced countries...

Dan

• springs03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seein as how i live in New mexico and there isnt a stream or river within 15 miles of me and it only rains about 5 inches a year, I doubt a little Sevin will have any impact on water sources. There will also be no eutrophication burden be cause the only wildlife that is seen around here are prarie dogs and pigeons which are already overpopulated. I asked for opinions on 4 muscadine plants, not for your opinion of the ecosystem in a state that you probably have never even visited.

12 years ago

I spoke in ABQ just last Oct about stormwater mitigation and solar access after touring some bosques with my science writer buddy, thanks!

I didn't speak about eutrophication of groundwater and the effect on residential wells, insects or soil fauna, however. Nor did I speak on how widespread it is in our society to misuse chemicals, the justification for said misuse, or the chemical industry's role in improper use. Nor the household economic impact on consuming and using products not needed. Others have had these issues covered pretty well for some time now.

Dan

• springs03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

While you are on your high horse let me ask you a few questions... What do you drive and how energy efficient is it? Do you use renewable energy sources in your home? Do you recycle every piece of trash that you have? When you see a bug in your house do you kill it or catch it and set it free? Do you write your speeches on paper? Do you pull weeds out of your garden? People might listen to you a little more if you were less condescending.

12 years ago

Standard tu quoque fallacies notwithstanding, the issue is the increase of willy-nilly spraying of chemicals when not needed in advanced societies, and the negative consequences thereof. Please note I never scaled down to the individual level, where I would have mentioned the needless waste of hard-earned money by spraying chemicals when not needed. Thank you so much for your time.

Dan

• springs03
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was a pleasure. Ill make sure my muscadines get plenty of water.