Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID with pictures

Posted by toenacious WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 17:50

I need help figuring out what these are and how to get rid of them. These tiny white bugs live in my soil and are eating my ripe strawberries. I was told they are springtails but can't confirm that springtails eat fruit, or how to get rid of them. They are less then 1mm, white/semi-translucent, 6 legged with antenea. They only eat the strawberry from the bottom, where it is in contact with the dirt. Photo links...

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/toenacious/bugs1.jpg
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy87/toenacious/closeup1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID with pictures

Those are springtails. Yes, some species of springtails are known to be pests. It is likely that they are feeding on overly ripe strawberries. Is that possible, from what you see? We'll trust your careful observation. This, by the way, is one of the reasons why so many people grow their strawberries on top of a ground cover of some kind. This would include landscaping cloth, straw, etc.

By and large, springtails are considered an important and even essential part of a healthy, working soil system. They are one of the many soil-borne critters that help turn all kinds of debris (plant and animal stuff) into mineral elements required for plant development.

Attached is a pretty good fact sheet that will tell you a bit about your springtails. Below (copy and paste) is an image of a springtail for your comparison.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/rowcrops/e1205-1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for some interesting information

o
RE: Bug ID with pictures

Thank you so much for your reply. I was also worried that they could be causing damage to the roots of my other crops. From what I am gathering, though, this is not the case. Thanks again!! I was at my wits end trying to figure this out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here