Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Mold/Fungus at base of Zucchini

Posted by austintaneous MO (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 17:51

I noticed 4 days ago that my zucchini plants were looking like they hadn't had water in weeks. I had just watered them hours before, so I watered them again. Within an hour the leaves perked up and looked perfectly healthy. The next day I had the same thing happen. I finally looked closely at the plant and found that main stem of the plant had an orange mold growing on it from the ground up to about 6 inches. The main stem was soft to the touch and seemed mushy. Any thoughts on what this could be? I'm continuing to water twice a day and new fruits are still growing, but the mold appears to be getting worse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Mold/Fungus at base of Zucchini

Sounds like a so-called slime mold. Some go by the name dog vomit fungus. If so, won't damage your plants.

o

A quick google search for slime mold netted some pictures that look very similar to what I'm seeing. Would that explain the sudden need for extra watering? I will say the temp has been in the mid to upper 90's for most of the last week. Also, have two yellow squash plants within 3 feet of the zucchini which have no mold and do not need the extra watering.

o

Temperatures in ther 90's and plants growing in the hot sun can produce plants that wilt and may need extra water depending on how well the soil they are growing in retains moisture. That a slime mold is growing near this plant indicates there is some mulch around it which is a help, if the mulch is thick enough.
Look closely at the stems to be sure this one does not have a Squash Vine Borer.

o

I'm not seeing any bugs at the base of the plant.

I've posted a picture of the base of the plant here..

http://postimage.org/image/n4l83n44/

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of zucchini rot

o

Okay, so NOT a slime mold.

Perhaps southern blight? If so, not at all good.

o

I'm thinking now that it is indeed a squash vine borer. I'm going to slice open the stem tonight to look for larvae.

o

I'm not at all familiar with that critter -- we don't have it here, thank goodness.

But here's info & good images that might help.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Horticulture/Squash_Vine_Borer

Here is a link that might be useful: squash vine borer w/images damage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here