Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help IDing insect

Posted by PFCMCL z10 - S CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 17:58

Hello, I have quite a few of these guys on one plant. They look like small grasshoppers to me. Their bodies are about 3/4" long. Are they beneficial or harmful? I'll appreciate any help.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ohNq3jwGycX_5IjtTD6ThnakTZGHQTdnu2QR6S-Yo7w?feat=directlink

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help IDing insect

Yep, young grasshoppers.

o

They must be a kind I've never seen before. I've been watching them for a few weeks now and they're never bigger than 1" long. Much smaller than the regular grasshoppers. Do they eat bugs or plants?

o

Jean, look and see if you don't think that they might be katydid nymphs...with those long, striped antennae and other characteristics?

PFC, there are no grasshoppers (or katydids if that's what they are) that don't eat plants. Grasshoppers, in large numbers, are considered worrisome pests. Katydids....not so much.

o

rhizo,

Yes, you're right. Katydids. (I looked too fast!)

PFC -
No wings as yet indicates they're youngsters. Several days to a week or so are required between successive developmental stages.

Even so, as rhizo said, katydids seldom eat all that much.

o

Thanks so much to both of you. I guess I won't bother them unless I see some damage.

o

That's exactly the right attitude! Most people think that katydids are very interesting, if not beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here