Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash Bugs

Posted by lkeitht VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 17:59

We planted pumpkins in a new section (no garden there for abt 15 years), at least 200ft from where we planted pumpkins last year (which were hit by squash bugs). I'm starting to find them again. I killed several adults and destroyed eggs the day before yesterday. Today I checked again and found 6 more adults and about 25 egg clusters. This is on about 20 pumpkin plants that have 8-10 leaves each. Last year we tried spraying soapy water, but that burned the leaves. I need to find something other than manually destroying these things, especially considering that its getting hotter (heat index 100+ today) and the amount of leaves to check are increasing.

Does DE kill them? Do the young leave the plant long enough to contact the DE? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash Bugs

I'll suggest that you research a kaolin clay product called 'Surround', which works (quite well) as a physical repellent against many different kinds of pest insects.

The white coating you'll apply not only keeps the pests away but is of huge help to crops during periods of high temperatures and blazing sun.

o
RE: Squash Bugs

Diamotaceous Earth might be of some limited value for controlling the larva of the Squash pests and Surround can disguise the leaves enough so the wee buggers are confused enough so they don't find the plants.
Neem Oil products appear to be good at controlling the various pests of Squash although due care is needed since Neem Oil products are broad spectrum poisons that can also kill off the beneficial insects that can aid in control of the squash pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here