Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimigunne98

Help IDing tomato leaf eating insect

jimigunne98
9 years ago

I have stinkbugs, and eastern leaf-footed bugs that have invaded my tomato plants. There is also one other I cannot identify. This bug is solid light brown. Seems to be some type of beetle. It is devouring the leaves on my tomatoes. They are about as bad as tomato hornworm! They are about 1/2 to 3/4 in long. The head is very small in comparison to the rest of body. Their wings are within large shell-like casings (don't know what anatomical name is for these structures). But its funny, as you can easily catch these bugs. They don't ever attempt to fly away, If you miss trying to grab one, or you shake them off of a leaf, they just drop to the ground. I have spent a lot of time looking at the garden pest websites, but still have not found a match to this bug! I even took some of these bugs to a nursery expert, and they didn't know what they were! Neem oil at 2 oz. per gallon is discouraging them temporarily, but not killing them. I don't want to spray anything other than organic on them. have to keep re-applying the neem oil. Thanks!

Comments (3)