Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help IDing tomato leaf eating insect

Posted by jimigunne 9A (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:59

I have stinkbugs, and eastern leaf-footed bugs that have invaded my tomato plants. There is also one other I cannot identify. This bug is solid light brown. Seems to be some type of beetle. It is devouring the leaves on my tomatoes. They are about as bad as tomato hornworm! They are about 1/2 to 3/4 in long. The head is very small in comparison to the rest of body. Their wings are within large shell-like casings (don't know what anatomical name is for these structures). But its funny, as you can easily catch these bugs. They don't ever attempt to fly away, If you miss trying to grab one, or you shake them off of a leaf, they just drop to the ground. I have spent a lot of time looking at the garden pest websites, but still have not found a match to this bug! I even took some of these bugs to a nursery expert, and they didn't know what they were! Neem oil at 2 oz. per gallon is discouraging them temporarily, but not killing them. I don't want to spray anything other than organic on them. have to keep re-applying the neem oil. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help IDing tomato leaf eating insect

If we're to offer any insights, we need pictures, please.

o

Sorry, the MP4s I took of these bugs came out sharp, but the JPEG is blurry, but probably not too blurry to prevent ID.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 18:41

Blister Beetle...be careful, the blister moniker is because it expels a caustic substance that causes blisters on the skin.

I would knock it into a bucket of soapy water...it can be a garden pest.

Here is a link that might be useful: blister beetles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here