Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby pumpkins turn yellow and fall off

Posted by luckyladyd 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 18:47

I had this problem also last year, and suspected a borer or bug. However, this year, several pumpkin plants in different areas of my yard have this issue. There are no holes and the fruit seems unblemished. I do have one nice fruit, about six inches in diameter, still green. I thought another one about 2" was out of the woods, but today it turned yellow. Would love to know if anybody else has this experience and how to deal with it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby pumpkins turn yellow and fall off

That happens when those fruits do not get properly pollinated. Are there a lot of bees flying around or are you like many others and have very few bees?

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin pollination

o
RE: Baby pumpkins turn yellow and fall off

Thank you, kimmsr. The article you attached explains it very well. I didn't understand that multiple visits by bees were better than one. I'm glad to know it's not something that I'm doing wrong or a disease.

LL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here