Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenmtngal14

Possums (opposums) eating garden?

greenmtngal14
11 years ago

I am posting on behalf of my mom, who has had a miserable garden year. She is "at war" with whatever is eating her garden. She bought a have-a-hart trap and caught a possum last night.

Luckily she has a heart (she wanted my Dad to kill it) and went to check on it in the heat today. She thought it was giving birth, but I pointed out that they are marsupials, so if the babies are 'coming out of the stomach' they were probably born a while ago...

So, point of the rambling.. Will a possum destroy a garden. Her squashes, beans, peas, cukes, tomatillos (not tomatoes, peppers, or eggplants) have all been destroyed. They were either destroyed right after germination, effectively killing them, or the leaves were chopped off and gobbled cleanly.. only stalks were left. Some plants will live as the inner leaves were not touched...

Is this a possum? I don't think it is... in fact the prints I saw led me to believe it was a racoon... what would selectively eat leaves like this? It also made it over her fence as we found no evidence of it digging under...

Would love some suggestions! (Ps- I told her to save Mommy's life... she was probably hissing because she was in daylight!)

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

in my experience .. where you have possum.. you have raccoons.. skunks.. groundhogs .. and rabbits ...

and it would be near impossible to figure out which are the culprit ...

safe to say.. the possum appears to be the stupidest in regard to walking into traps ... they always seem to be the first thing caught ...

and in the trap.. they are one of the most pissed off.. it has nothing to do with the babes.. they just need some anger management counseling ... [maybe they are angry about how stupid they are.. lol] ....

cantalope is a great dessert. and fantastic attractant in traps.. due to its wafting order ...

its probably time.. to fence in moms garden.. with some hardware cloth ...

disney has warped a couple generations of us all .. these are vermin.. varmints.. they carry disease ... destroy property ... and they are generally a nuisance .. do not start worrying about all that touchy feely stuff.. if you REALLY WANT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM ...

you might want to talk with your local pest control guy ... if this is really important ... my guy is in he book under TRAPPER BOB ... lol ..

ken

• tdscpa
    11 years ago

I only had one experience with a possum in my garden in the eight years I gave been at it. The possum only went for my "compost", or scrap? pile where I tossed my spoiled fruit and vegetables (tomatoes, melons).

My growing green plants are mostly just destroyed by rabbits, and birds are attacking ripening tomatoes for moisture, as we are in extreme drought status.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Opossums are omnivorous, they will eat most anything except the poisoned baits some people put out. So will they eat the plants growing in your garden? Certainly, just as the rabbits, deer, and other wild critters will.
    Many people do live trap wild animals without realizing that it may well be illegal to transport them in your state. In Michigan one must be licensed by the state to transport wildlife legally. Moving wildlife from one habitat to another more than likely will result in that animal being killed by those in the new habitat unless there is some habitutation done.

• HU-767257278
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Actually possoms don't carry diseases guys and if you have a cricket infestation like we did outside our house that were actually eating our garden (especially pepper leaves and budding squashes) as we would come out at night and shine a light on our plants and see a ton of crickets. Possoms don't carry rabies they are immune to snake venom and keep your garden free of pests. Raccoons are lucky they're cute, their babies are so playful and rambunctious they always destroy something at night, on top of that they fight over food...

I have learned WHY it's best to have garden boxes high off the ground (right after we kept them low to the ground but veggies started to disappear darn it).

• Kat H
    2 years ago

Please don't like the opossums... They DO NOT CARRY DISEASE. Even though they can eat things with diseases.... They do not get the disease nor do they carry it. They are good to have around and get a bad reputation for no reason...so no matter how bad or dangerous your grandma or great grandma says they are... Please don't believe it. Do your research. They are amazing... They eat up all the ticks in your yard and in the woods so we need these little creatures. (Fyi They can eat ticks without getting any of their diseases)