Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I seal entry for bees/wasp?

Posted by shelli563 zone 6 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 18:49

The entry to my front door has a small open outdoor porch. The bottom of the porch is enclosed. I noticed that there are bees or a wasp of some type(too fast to tell which, but they are small, they aren't yellowjackets) flying in and out of a crack between the floor boards of the porch and the porch step. I have not been stung and they seem to avoid us if we are in the area. The entry is about 2 feet above the ground.

I was thinking of caulking the crack. The nest is obviously under the enclosed porch, so will sealing the entry kill the nest or will they find another way in and out?

Thanks for the advice,
Shelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I seal entry for bees/wasp?

Best to kill the nest and then seal.

o

I agree. What you see may not be the only entry or if desperate the insect may find an exit into the house.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 23:53

If they are yellowjackets, and you seal it up, they will find a way out. May not be the route you want them to take. They are beneficial insects which help limit pesky insects at your place. So if you could avoid them until the end of the year, they will die off and be gone.

If they are small bees, they are not a hazard. They won't sting. They are pollinators, so should be preserved.

If they are honey bees -- which I seriously doubt, sealing the exit will give you grief when the honey supply spoils, ferments, and stinks. So decide if you will leave them be or if you will get a beekeeper to collect the colony.

o

Can you post a pic?

I've had similar circumstances in the past. Bees never bothered with me. Yellow jackets did, but I was practically stomping on their nest unknowingly as it was under my deck. Mud wasps won't do anything either, and you can tell from the noise if its that. If you don't have any small children around or someone allergic, I'd just let them bee. Hornets are a different story, and although they're beneficial, you have to take the chance on a painful sting. Good luck.

o

Any bee or wasp would not build a nest someplace without at least two entry/exit points so sealing up the one you know of is not going to solve the real problem. If the wee buggers are not disturbing you there is no real good reason to do anything until later in the fall after they die off so you could keep any others from using that entry/exit next year.

o

That's not true. I have a wild honeybee colony in a tree this year (happy, happy joy, joy) it has ONE entrance and exit. Jean001 gave excellent advice. I had the bees identified by my extension agent, and I am not killing them off. They are essential pollinators and have not been showing any signs of aggression whatsoever.

Having creatures nesting in your house is a special circumstance, and you need good information to make the decision of how to deal with it, or if to deal with it. If you do seal off a bee nest, and they die in there, you will have a stinky, hideous mess. If you seal off a yellow jacket nest, they can very well get into the house. Consult with your ag extension agent for advice in how to handle your particular critter. You always need to identify WHAT you have to know HOW to handle it. Methods and choices vary depending on what you go there.

o

I'm with the folks who think these might be yellow jackets. Our original poster, Shelli, mentioned that the insects she has been observing are small. She might not realize how small yellow jackets are!

My major concern is that the behavior of yellow jackets seems to change as fall approaches. They become more aggressive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here