Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help RE: my squash bugs!

Posted by b2alicia zone 5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 18:54

This year is the first time I tried to raise squash from seeds.

My momma made the most wonderful squash dishes where we lived when I was little. In south Louisiana, you could find the yummiest yellow crookneck squash at any store in town.

Now I live in Denver, and cannot find anything near as good.

So, I ordered 3 different kinds of crookneck squash seeds from Burpees, raised them from seeds, then put them out in my veggie garden.

But alas! The bugs have found them! And I'm afraid of losing every plant.:(

Then I read up on treatment with insecticide soap.

So! ... here's what I did.

- 4 tsps soap water. I took a bar of ivory soap and let it sit in a bowl of filtered water for 3-4 hours, until the water was white.
- 2 tps Neem Oil . from whole foods, cold-pressed pure oil.

- 4 tsps of another mixture... 2 cups filtered water, chopped onion, garlic powder, and a tsp of tabasco sauce, microwaved for 10 minutes. Then I allowed it to cool, and strained out the liquid.

- 1 gallon of filtered water.

Put it all in my Spray Doc, and squirted it all over my squash plants at about 8:30 pm.

Sound ok? Anything else I should do in the next 24 hours?

Should I plan to do another session in a day or two?

Any recommendations or comments?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: squash!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help RE: my squash bugs!

What kind of "bugs" are you fighting?

tj

o

I didn't see any bugs in your pictures and the plants look healthy.

o

Insecticidal Soaps are a contact poison, they need to make direct contact with the target insect pest, Insecticidal Soaps do not have any residual affect and once dry they do little, although if applied at the wrong time or in too heavy a concentration they can damage the plants they are applied to.
Neem oil can be an anti feedant for many insect speacies and if applied properly can have residual affects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here