Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant dying, Insects in root

Posted by mohideen none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 19:05

My recently bought rose plant is dying. It was looking week from the time I bought (it was the last plant in the shelf, and I did not want to miss that one, a rare variety). I dug it up today to find that the root was surrounded with many small insects (see image below) and some worms. I currently have the plant in a container of water.

I would appreciate your advice on two things:
1. Whats the best way to kill those insects?
2. Should i plant the rose plant back in a pot or let it be in the water container for a while? Someone on a blog suggested keeping plant whose roots were attacked by ants to be kept in water container for a while, but I'm not sure if that will be a good idea for my young rose plant.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant dying, Insects in root

Yikes, that looks like a termite, to me.

o

mohideen, submerging the root ball would either flush out the insects or drown them. As to how long to submerge them, 48 hours was a sure cure for infestations of the giant moth borer (Castnia licoides) of sugar cane. This Link seems to support the same for roses.

o

48-hour submerged-soak may also drown the plant.

o

Thank you very much rhizo_1 and ronalawn82.

@rhizo_1: That definitely looks like termites (http://www.pestworldforkids.org/pest-guide/termites/). I have bought termites with my rose!!! :(

@ronalawn82: Looks like letting the plant sit in water is not a bad idea.

o

@jean001a: I have not submerged the plant completely. Just the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here