Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Pest Eating my Vinca Periwinkles

Posted by amberlynn03091987 Zone 4 TN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 19:28

Hi, I am brand new to flower gardening and have just recently put up my first flowerbed. I planted several different types of flowers and most of them seem to be doing fine but in the past week I have noticed that something is taking quite large bites out of my Vinca periwinkle blooms. It looks at if something is taking a round cookie cutter to the blooms on the edges. If you look very closely the cuts are slightly serrated but they are even and symmetrical. I have no idea what could be doing this. I never see anything near my flowers, and I don't see any bugs on them except for an occasional ant. Whatever is doing this, prefers the periwinkle and they have choose to only eat the white and light pink blooms, yesterday, a bite was taken out of one of the hot pink ones though.
If anyone knows what could be doing this I would really appreciate some advice on how to get it to stop. It is destroying my blooms. I have uploaded a photo of the damage from my phone It's not the greatest photo but you can see the damage. Please HELP ME!!! Also, on the outside of the bed I have impatients but it doesn't bother those, even though it would pass them first to get into the bed.

Thanks,
Amberlynn First-Timer

Image link: Unknown Pest Eating my Vinca Periwinkles (1 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Pest Eating my Vinca Periwinkles

Plz atch something other than a thumbnail.

Dan

o

Uh oh. Way to small and way too dark. Please try again.

o

First of all, I'd like to know where in TN exists a zone 4 climate!

Though even my Mr.Magoo glasses aren't good enough to see much in your little picture, I'm gong to 'guess' that it might be the work of leaf cutter bees. They are most observed taking cookie cutter pieces out of leaves, but will also do the same to flower petals.

o

Hi, thank you for all the post. I meant zone 6 sorry for the confusion. I am a first timer to all of this. And since I wasn't even aware that the country was divided into zones until about 4 weeks ago I'm sure you guys will let it slide. lol. Anyways, I couldn't figure out how to change the photo so I had to repost the entire message again. Hope it doesn't get deleted before I get some help. I have noticed that it keeps eating them sometime between noon and the early evening. I'm at work then so there's no way of knowing for sure what it is. I would like to know what I can do to stop it though. It is absolutely wrecking my flowerbed.

o

Aw, darn! I was hoping you had found some obscure mountain top environment with a wacky temperature zone, lol. I was going to visit!

Anyway, your vinca is being visited by those leaf cutter bees, which use the little discs they remove from foliage and flowers to line their nests.

Leaf cutter bee damage is usually considered purely aesthetic. In other words, these insects really aren't truly 'wrecking' your flowerbed or harming the plants. They are considered important pollinators, if that helps you wait out the damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for more information

o

OP's larger image.

Rhizo and her Mr. Magoo glasses strike again!

o
RE: Unknown Pest Eating my Vinca Periwinkles-

Uh oh, here's the link to the larger image
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0702484317356.html

Here is a link that might be useful: larger image

o

Okay. Well even if it isn't killing my plants it is wrecking my flowerbed. Aesthetics are important to me and since those are almost the only thing I have blooming right now in the bed I don't want this bee cutting up my flowers every time they get a bloom open. What do these things look like anyway? Do they kind of look like a moth but with the colors of a bee? I saw one of those earlier today hanging around my bed but I didn't catch it eating anything. So can I gat rid of them? And how? Thanks for all the help.

Different subject, how do you put an image in a response I didn't see anything where I could upload in a response that's why I reposted.

o

Leaf cutter bees look like...bees. (See attached link for a google image page.) Your 'moth bee' COULD have been one of the several clear-wing moths. There are some species that look quite a bit like big bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial Leaf cutter bees

o

Our leaf cutters here look about half the size of a Euro honeybee.

The DD likes to look at them when she goes out to pick peas, as they seem to be only on peas this year so are especially numerous there. Not a big deal. No one on the planet has a garden without some leaf deformation. No one.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here