Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parasitized Tomato Hornworms

Posted by Joiseygirl71 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 19:35

We have several tomato plants in containers on our deck. This is the 2nd season we have had the hornworms, so we've been inspecting daily and picked off quite a few, avoiding major damage. We now have 3 worms that are parasitized. Everything I have read says to leave them on the plant. But, when, if ever, can I remove them? How will I know the wasps have emerged? I'd like to spray with BT, but don't want to kill wasp larvae. Any advice? They are gross andI would love to be rid of them, lol! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parasitized Tomato Hornworms

Lucky you!

You'll know the wasps have emerged when you see a small hole in the end of the cocoons.

And lest you worry, those wasps don't sting people. Not ever.

The Bt won't affect the wasps at any stage of their life. But if you apply it when the hornworms are half-grown or larger, it won't affect them either.

o

Thanks! Do you know how long the "incubation" period is for the wasps? The cocoons have been there less than a week. How long before I can pick it off, or will it fall off?

o

When the wasp larvae are finished with the caterpillar, they make those cocoons in order to pupate. As soon as you see those little pin holes in the cocoons, you can get rid of the corpse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here