Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could a squirrel have done this ?!?

Posted by sleepy33 5b KS (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 19:35

Hi all. I live in an older neighborhood with tons of huge, mature trees. Hence, we have a ridiculous squirrel population. They frequently will dig around, in the ground near new (or not so new) plantings, in my large pots, etc. In my side yard, I have planted some foxglove near the base of a tree. Earlier this year, they had messed with these, in this area, a bit, but not excessively. I hadn't walked through the side yard in about a week, it's been very rainy, but when I walked through today, I saw this:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The largest dug-up area is the weird trench-like spot in the first photo; it's probably 2 ft long, and several inches deep. The other spots are more round, but still much bigger than anything I've ever seen squirrels do. Is it even possible that this is the work of a squirrel? If not, what could it be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could a squirrel have done this ?!?

Given the size of the damaged area more than likely it is skunks or raccoons digging for white grubs.....but squirrels could be the culprits too.....
My money is on the skunks.....

Ian

o

Interesting! I wouldn't think we would have skunks/raccoons in the middle of a neighborhood. I wonder where they are living? Given the proximity to the tree roots, and I'm sure the high yield of grubs that are present in the yard, your theory makes sense. It's such a strange, straight, neat trench... I've never seen an animal dig so neatly! Thanks for the input!

o

Racoons have no fear of proximity to humans. I live in the country, but my parents who lived in town had racoons move into their attic.

Put my money along side Ian's on a skunk. It looks like the typical skunk damage we get early each spring, when one rolls the turf back under a dying old red pine and has at grubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here