Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schleffera/umbrella tree problems - PHOTOS

Posted by trh701 z4sd (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 19:57

Have had this plant for a year with no problems. Repotted it 2 months ago and seemed to be OK. However, in the last 6 weeks I started to notice what I thought were water droplets on the leaves. However, when I finally investigated further these droplets are sticky and are definitely not water. The bottom leaves are developing brown spots and then the leaves turn yellow and fall off. I can't see any bugs of any kind (I have taken it outside 3 times and sprayed the leaves well). None of the other plants I repotted are having problems so I don't think I had bad soil.

Image link: Schleffera/umbrella tree problems - PHOTOS (40 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schleffera/umbrella tree problems - PHOTOS

Not a schefflera but a Pachira (aka Money Tree, Good Luck Tree, Umbrella Tree). This is a plant that is apparently somewhat difficult to grow, considering all the comments about it in the House Plant Forum.

Can't help you with the yellowing leaves, as this seems to be typical behavior. But I can tell you that your plant has an infestation of scale insects. You need to look for small dark bumps along the stems, even on the leaves. These are the adult scale insects. The sticky stuff is their excrement.

Inspect all of your plants for scale, as the eggs and crawlers are readily spread (usually by us).

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon....let's see what these folks have to say!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here