Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brassica pest

Posted by mcleester MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 20:31

I have something eating my brassica. They have totally skeletonized the leaves. They did it in about 3 days. They have eaten the broccoli, cauliflower, and collards.

Any thoughts on what to do with the plants/bugs? Should I pull up the plants and kill the bugs to prevent other infestations or problems next year?

Given the state of the plants (see next post), I don't think they are going to be saved this year.

Any ideas of how to prevent these in the future?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brassica pest

The destroyed plants...beyond saving? At least I got one harvest out of the collards.

o

Wow! You must've had quite an infestation. Trim up all the really bad leaves and dispose of -- you may still be able to get something out of them. The broccoli and cauli may be done, due to the fact that they put out so many leaves before heading and they use those leaves to generate the heads. But the collards could definitely be saved, maybe... since they'll keep on generating leaves as long as you don't clip the innermost leaves.

In the meantime, go get some BT and spray once a week for a few weeks. it will clear up your problem in no time. Totally safe, available at ANY garden center. Not sure about Walmart though.

Kevin

o

That's a Cross-Striped Cabbage worm. Save the Bt....that's for very early infestations when the caterpillars are very young. Yes, it's "safe " but still should not be used unless it's necessary and the caterpillars are babes.

o

Thanks for the info, Kevin and Rhizo. I will clean up all the leaves and dispose of them. As I read more, it seems that brassicas are susceptible to a lot of pests. Perhaps next year, I'll use the BT early. It seems like it's approved for organic gardening...pretty cool. Thanks again.

o

Next year, plant then loosely cover with row cover which will protect the plants from the moths that lay the eggs which soon become caterpillars.

Be certain to secure the edges of the row cover, though, as any determined moths can enter through gaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here