Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
safer brand for cucumber beetle control

Posted by rich_manure z6 SEMA (richdelmo@aol.com) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:20

Any opinions on using safer brand to get rid of cucumber beetles which contains pyrethrin which I don't know much about it other than its organic and it claims to kill them on contact, as well as other insects. My cuc plants are already suffering from these bugs so I need to do something fast or it's another year with minimal cucs. I have homemade traps and I pick them regularly but they are way ahead of me at this point. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: safer brand for cucumber beetle control

Rich, since you are asking about a product manufactured by a company that produces numerous options, I need you to tell me the exact name of the particular one you've been considering.

o

Pyrethrins, while a natural pesticide is a very broad spectrum poison that will kill off any of the predators of
Cucumber Beetles as well as the pests.
Surround, a Kaolin clay that coats the plant leaves, seems to offer a good deal of protection.
It does not kill off the beetles but disguises the plant so they do not land on it. There are a number of other steps to take that the article linked may be of some help with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Control of Cucumber Beetles

o

The specific product is Safer® Tomato and Vegetable Insect Killer

Thanks for the link sounds like I needed to use kaolin clay earlier in the season but they recommend pyrethrins as a last resort when the beetles feeding on the pollen which they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here