Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caterpillars with stingers

Posted by pearsaml 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 21:31

I began finding these small green caterpillars with stinger type things on their ends. They were very small, and looked like inchworms-- so I presume they are not tomato hornworms. But they were eating up the leaves just the same. Any idea what they might be? I sprayed the plants with some neem oil-- and have been picking them off daily. Just wondering what I attracted to my garden that I should watch out for flying around.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caterpillars with stingers

Well, I know almost nothing about tomato/tobacco hornworms, but it seems to me that they should start out small.. Check out the link below, there's a pic 2/3 of the way down that shows just-hatched larva that look somewhat like inchworms with stingers... good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: baby hornworm?

o

You never mentioned what plant you've been finding these caterpillars on. If they are on the tomatoes, then you've probably found some very young hornworms...deebo is correct: they DO start out very small.

There are, however, lots of other kinds of hornworms, so knowing the plant is important.

Hand removal is a very efficient method of controlling caterpillars. You might also look for the small, round eggs. They will be located on the upper or lower surface of the leaves, and deposited singly, rather than in masses like so many other moth species.

o

I've been finding them mostly on tomato plants -- but I did find a couple on basil and pepper plants--I also found a shiny cloudy white looking egg on a pepper plant which I figured was an egg of these little monsters.

The photo of the very young tomato hornworm totally looked like what I've been finding, and I'm pretty impressed that they grow into such a fancy, big monster.

o

According to my bug books the larva of just about every memeber of the large Sphinx moth family has a horn. There are a few that do not, but a quick glance indicates the number is not large. Since all of the larva start out from very small eggs laid by the various adults on the host plants they will start out small and then grow, fairly quickly, into very large caterpillars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here