Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's happening to my Flowering Dogwood leaves?

Posted by kat_moose none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 22:00

Hello everyone!
About 90-95% of the leaves on my dogwood tree have gone a pale yellow/white between the green veins. I've done some research and I initially thought it was iron chlorosis, but now the leaves are showing symptoms that I don't recognize as being associated with lack of iron. Some of the leaves are completely pinkish red, while others are on their way. Many of the leaves are developing brownish blotches (some leaves have holes), and it seems to be getting worse. A couple weeks ago I added iron chelate to the soil around the tree, and today I put bone meal around the base as well as compost.
Does anyone know what's happening to the tree? I would hate to lose it!!
Thanks so much:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's happening to my Flowering Dogwood leaves?

Have you used a 'weed and feed' product in the vicinity of the tree?

How long has it been planted in its present location?

Is it surrounded by grass or in a mulched bed?

Was it planted according to proper practices or perhaps too deeply in a hole with peat or other amendments?

What's the pH of the soil? Are other plants exhibiting signs of problems?

o

A couple weeks ago I added iron chelate to the soil around the tree, and today I put bone meal around the base as well as compost.

==>>> is the above based on a soil test ...

are you loving it to death???

what is your watering protocol ... overhead irrigation???

ken

o

Is it planted in full sun? Dogwoods are understory plants and aren't fans of full sun. You might be seeing sunburn.

Dennis

P.S. Bone meal will take a while to decompose so you won't see any results from it in the immediate future.

o

It's been in its current location since we moved here 15 years ago. Up until yesterday it was surrounded by grass. No other trees/shrubs seem to be showing signs of problems. This is the first time in 15 years I've really paid special attention to it (it hasn't had problems until the last couple years- this year it didn't even flower). The steps I've taken so far are pretty generic and I don't think it would hurt the tree at all. It just might not be what it needs
Thanks for the replies!

o

What do you mean by "Up until yesterday it was surrounded by grass."?

That doesn't sound good for the surface roots.

And it's at the surface where the majority of absorbing roots are.

o

I pulled up the grass around it and put down compost. I didn't do any digging!

o

Ah-ha! Some compost/mulch has been reported to have chemicals in it. What exactly is it and where did you get it?

Dennis

o

kat_moose, try this site.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here