Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrchris123

Can I use this soap in my organic pesticide?

MrChris123
9 years ago

Hi All,
My garden (specifically my eggplant) has recently come under attack by flea beetles. I decided that I would try this organic pesticide "recipe" that I found to control them:
"mix together 1 bulb of minced garlic, 1 minced onion, 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper, one tablespoon of soap, and steep for 20 mins in 1 quart of water."

However, I'm kind of confused on what type of "soap" the recipe is calling for. I did some more research, and some people recommend castile soap and others said any biodegradable dish soap will work. However, the two grocery stores I went to didn't have castile soap, so I instead bought something called "Seventh Generation natural dish liquid - free & clear variety." Its says that it's
biodegradable and it's 95% naturally derived. So, anyway, do you think this soap will be alright to use on my plants?
Also, would anyone be able to comment on the above recipe? Do you think I should add more soap to the mixture? Some websites were saying to use 2 tbs, while others said to only use 1 tbs. Thank you for any advice! Sorry about the long post

Comments (4)