Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Mosquito Bacteria.

Posted by greatriver 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 22:21

Does anyone have any leads on how to grow mosquito killing bacteria, as sold as "Mosquito Control Dunks" or granules?

Obviously, the manufacturers have a process for doing so.

They would need feed source and some sort of processing.

Hopefully it can be done in water, like compost tea, and sprayed every so often.

I'd like to regularly spray it on our land and ponds by the mosquito infected Mississippi River in Iowa--at least to get their predator bacteria established in the yard.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Mosquito Bacteria.

The strains of Bacillu thuringiensis that aid in control of mosquitoes occurs naturally, but usually in such small numbers that they do not do a good job of control. Growing those strains requires, as best as I can find, controlled laboratory conditions.

o

BtI is so very, very inexpensive it should be a part of most homeowner's arsenals of safe but effective insecticides. And it only takes a tiny dunk to control a huge area for a long time. Not hardly worth the effort to try to manufacture them even if you could. One card of two lasts me a whole season.

o

I agree that the investment in equipment and space would be much more costly than fuel, material and taxes.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here