Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does smashing walnuts kills the pests that invade it?

Posted by astralus none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 23:21

f you smash a walnut with eggs of a pest already laid in it, or on it, and throw it away on the ground, can these eggs still hatch, and live, and for how long is that possible. I know it is an odd question, but indulge me please, it is a bet.

Someone asked how hard did I smash it - real hard, the idea was to kill the live insect inside (not the eggs). How big is the risk from further infestation, can hatch if there were eggs and live for how long, can the insect that lived inside survive if I didn't kill it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does smashing walnuts kills the pests that invade it?

i am going to bet a buck.. that there will be no one with experience..

because who is going to go thru the pulp to find out ... why go to all that effort??? you dont plan on using the pulp.. do you????

i would suggest.. that most of us.. would just send them away.. with the garbage man ...

i dont know what the bet is about.. but i would suggest. the through crushing of a bug will kill it ... the impact necessary to get thru the shell should completely mash what is inside.. would one think ..

heck.. butternut is a type of walnut.. and i havent even figured out.. how to smash that nut open ... talk about hard shelled ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here