Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sudden wilting

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 0:01

Hi all,

I'm very puzzled by this phenomena.. Some branches of a royal purple smoke tree just suddenly started wiling from the tip and progressed backwards towards the trunk. I thought it might be systemic but the other branches are healthy. A similar thing happened to my purple Sambuca.. Can it be some form of fungus or virus? What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sudden wilting

It would take investigation but both species are quite susceptible to verticillium wilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: verticillium wilt

o

I think you are right. What's more worrisome is I have a young redbud growing close to the affected plant. I'll have to remove the affected branches right away. Thank you for your help.

o

That wilting may be related to water. If you are experiencing the lack of rainfall we are here, many of my trees are wilting from the heat and lack of soil moisture, or maybe too much water which can cause the same thing. With most diseases you would see other signs beside wilting.

o

Yes , sudden wilting is mostly caused by Verticilium because there are other healthy branches beside the diseased one, it means that the problem in vasucular tissues.

o

Well I had removed yet more parts of the tree as more limbs became affected. In fact the cut trunk showed dark circles and gummy sap. I'm afraid my beautiful royal purple smoke tree is a goner. It's been a very rainy summer coupled with some dry spells, so the fungus is probably going to be in the soil for quite a while. The area is also nex to my redbud, a rose and several boxwoods which I hope won't be affected. Keeping my fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here