Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_take

Little white eggs/bugs on roots of plants

miss_take
13 years ago

Hey there! SO. I have/had these little things (I call them things because I have yet to confirm their identity!) that have ruined several plants. I believe they came from a bad bag of soil.

They're these little white eggs, that hatch into these tiny little aphid-like bugs. And then there are small holes in the lower leaves of my vegetation. Now, they trampled through a chocolate mint plant, which I've already done away with. I have tried taking my lettuce plants out of the infected soil and into new ones, but that did not keep them from destroying the last of them.

I am afraid that the soil I put them in, the lettuce I mean, will become infests. Though the plants were about 6" away, at least, I am still concerned for my new corn and my Japanese eggplant nearby. Now, I've taken my soil and radiated it in the microwave, so hopefully that did some help. All the (known) infested plants have been removed, and so has a handful of the soil around it. I haven't seen many of these thing travel farther than the plant root, so I am hopeful.

There are two images of sticky fly tape, and these were put next to the lettuce when the leaves were showing signs of being eaten. This makes me think that I have fungus gnats, but there's a lack of imagery for the eggs. Also, some of the little white things in the images are actually moving bugs! Truth is, I can't really tell the difference between the 'eggs' and the moving bugs! This is what leads me to believe that they are not the fungus gnats.

The Sticky tape: {{gwi:1182522}} & {{gwi:1182524}}

Roots: {{gwi:1182526}}, {{gwi:1182528}}, {{gwi:1182530}}, {{gwi:1182532}}, {{gwi:1182534}}

Comments (10)