Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ash1970_gw

Which type "dust" applicators do you use or recommend?

ash1970_gw
9 years ago

Hope this is the right forum...

Thinking of experimenting with a "dust" type product. Really small scale - just a few plants. Any advice on what type of duster - if any is needed - is best for such fine "micronized" powders?

Haven't seen them in person yet, but it looks like some product containers may come with holes to sprinkle from, or may be squeezable like a J&J baby-powder.

The most common less expensive options seem to be either a small bellows/squeezebox with a extending pointy-tube, or an even simpler squeeze-bulb with a pointy exit.

Almost all seem to be marketed and sold as pesticide applicators, and all types (at least below 3-figures) appear to have reviews complaining of much powder escaping from connections and joints.

Thanks for any comments.

Comments (8)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

What type of "dust" are you planning on applying? There are different applicators for different types of garden "dusts", although some claim to be pretty universal.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont know why you would dust... with an applicator ... JUST A FEW PLANTS ....

it seems like the cost of the tool would be out of whack to application ... especially when you are mentioning.. 3 figure cost ... yikes ...

not to mention.. you would probably need a couple pounds of product.. to fill the gizmo ... for just a few plants ... putting the stuff back int he properly labeled container.. etc ...

that said.. i just ran into one of these.. but for the life of me.. i dont recall where ... it was either the flea market.. and it was antique [perhaps you might read that.. junk.. lol] ...

or i was surprised to see it at tractor supply ... [but i was on a mission from God.. and perhaps saw it out of the corner of my eye] ....

or both ... try googling some of the farm stores ... or mail order garden suppliers.. like amleo.com ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Of all pesticide formulations, dusts are probably the least efficient and so likely to end up where not wanted....like in your eyes or lungs. I'm interested, too, about what you're wanting to use. Do tell!

• ash1970_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More pro-active than for a specific purpose - or maybe just curious about adding to my pile of gardening related stuff - and was interested for the future if any cheap applicator actually was useful.

Now that the season is almost over, my local retailer has a clearance on some sulfur dust and copper dust for a couple of bucks. And thought I might get one or the other to try out on a couple of determinate tomato plants that appear to be getting everything foliar at once.

Even as a tomato newbie I can see some powdery mildew, a bit of mite-y stippling, and possibly a touch of late blight. They're about to shut down anyway and the only remaining fruits are too close to harvest to be in any danger, so really don't have to do anything, but thought I might experiment a bit.

Suppose powders could be suspended in water to spray, but was wondering...

This post was edited by ash1970 on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 0:27

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Being "pro active" and spraying something to prevent a problem that does not yet exist is not a good idea since any poison sprayed could kill off any beneficials which will simply multiply any pest problems that may arise.
    The place to be pro active is with the soil the plants grow in, make that soil into a good healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants better able to ward off attack by insect pests and plant diseases.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I believe that ash meant that researching the equipment is proactive...always a great idea to gather information and ideas ahead of time.

Ash, I would totally invest in either of those little gadgets. As a matter of fact, I think I still have something very similar to the little one on top and have used it to apply diatomaceous earth.

Regarding your comment about how to use a 'dust' or powder. Some products absolutely cannot be added to water. Unless your product clearly gives application directions for mixing in water, it must be applied as a dust (D).

There are also dry powders that should only be mixed with water for use. Those are the wettable powders (WP), and the mixing directions will be on the label.

AND there are some products that can be used both ways! But you will never, ever have to guess or experiment (and you shouldn't) because everything you need to know will be on the label.

Report back and let us know which device you end up getting and how you like it.

• ash1970_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I'm sure optimizing the soil for plant health would be most beneficial.

And yes a primary reason is just to try out an inexpensive gadget - and in anticipation of next season. (Even though the tomatoes made it all the way to their final harvest with no intervention, perhaps an occasional dusting with sulfur would have permitted the plants to remain disease free to the end, despite the sub-optimal climate.)

Very interesting and clarifying about application methods. As I recall, the labels in question give instructions for both dry dust or wet spray. May take a while, but will report back as requested.

Thanks again.

• lindsaybev
    9 years ago

When I used "dust, other than the dusting on the ground in circles around the stems of my plants, which i just threw and sprinkled evenly, I put my powdery substance in a water spray bottle and shoook. When the water dried it was a uniform application of the product, plus I did not have to worry about any inhalation problems...or eye contact etc.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists