Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowergaltx

Tiny Silver Bugs In Soil Of Potted Plants

SunflowerGalTX
9 years ago

I've been looking all over the Internet for an answer to my problem and I have some ideas, but I'm not sure how to proceed!

I have discovered tiny, silver, quick moving insects in my potted plants. I wouldn't have even noticed, but I was working on repotting some newly acquired plants. They are nowhere else on the plant and most look fine, although there are a few that look a little sickly(but that could be hottest-part-of-the-year blues). I have found them in other areas of the yard in all kinds of plants, so it's not a picky bug!

From all the research I've done, I've ruled out fungus gnats as they don't look or move like them. They look like springtails, but while they move quickly, they aren't very 'springy'. Still, no other pest I've read up on comes close to what I'm experiencing.

I've also found a lot of fire ants so I think these guys are just looking for some moisture(which I read springtails like). It hasn't rained a lot recently, so I guess they're attracted to my pots. It looks like they aren't in really dry soil.

Assuming they are springtails, unless someone else has another idea, how do I get rid of them? I had some Bayer 3-in-1 on hand and that seems to be helping. However, I want to make sure these little buggers are gone before I repot!

I've read about soil drenching and think that may help since they just seem to be in the dirt. I have read about using soapy water or Imidicloprid. How safe is this? I don't want to lose any plants. What have your experiences been like? Are there any plants this isn't safe for?

I'd really like to make sure these are eradicated before I do all the work of repotting(unless I can be guaranteed these guys won't harm my plants). If drenching won't work, I'll take any ideas you may have. Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

As a rule pesticides for control of most all tiny insects living in potted plant soil is not necessary. All of those need a fairly moist environment with ample quantities of organic matter and the best means of control is to allow the soilless mix to dry out before watering again.
    The largest problem still seen by Master Gardeners at any plant problem symposium is too wet soils in potted plants.

• SunflowerGalTX
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand that letting the soil dry out will help, and I've noticed they're not as plentiful or even in extremely dry pots. However, for example, I had this little (bug free) succulent that I'd let go dry for too long. The poor thing was shriveling, so I watered it. It looks great today, but now it has bugs. Eventually you have to water, especially in this dry, hot part of the summer...and then they're back.

• b_blessent8
    8 years ago

These little critters are jus a okay for ur potted plants or ur garden. They eat decayin matter bacteria n r a sign ur a Great. Gardener! Please dont hurt ur pots or lawn w pesticides, the critters come out after watering, trading bad materials into wonderful nutrients.They r springtails u have as do I. Iv done alot of research on mites bugs n all gardening treasure trove of info from natural remedies to plant communication. Last one i kno sounds nuts but its been researched n proven that every blade of grass, flower,moss,fungus, tree are all connected underground in a mass communicating network rivaling our own internet. The insects n animals tapp in to plants chemical convos n can benefit or wreak havoc. Urs mites r just taking care of what the plants n garden r communicating, nourishing the soil n eating invasive bacteria n other mites.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Just an FYI but your post is very hard to read, b_blessant. Texting abbreviations do not make for very good communications online and while I can text with the best of them on my smartphone, I had to go back and read your post several times to figure out what exactly you were saying. And even then, some of it is still beyond my comprehension.

Also containerized indoor plants are generally expected to be insect-free.......or they should be. Insects should not be a) an active presence indoors and b) there are no beneficials (beyond anything microscopic) that are of assistance in container plantings. 99% of insects you will find either in the container soil or on the plant are not going to be welcome visitors. So a pesticide/insect control may very well be in order.