Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID please :)

Posted by scgirlmw CA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 3:20

These little buggers are all over my corn and visiting the broccoli in my community garden plot. My fellow gardeners and I can't agree if it's a Harlequin bug. Thoughts?? And best way to get rid of whatever it is? Thanks <3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID please :)

Well, it's not the best image to go by, but I'm going to GUESS that it might be Bagrada hilaris, a new (to this country) invader that first showed up in California, I believe.

It is closely related to the Harlequin bug and all of the other shield bugs.

Check the attached Google images page for comparison and let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Shield bug

o

I think that might be it! I will try and take a better picture tonight just to make sure. I took like 8 photos but I only had my camera phone and that was the best image I could get. I'll come prepared with an actual camera tonight. Thank you so much!

o

I'm pretty sure that's it, too. They can be found all kinds of plants, but apparently favor those in the Brassicaceae family (cabbage, broccoli, etc.)

o

Here is one more picture for your id'ing pleasure :) I sprayed some Neem yesterday at the recommendation of my local garden supply store - they didn't know what the bug was but said Neem kills most everything.

o

No, neem does NOT kill almost everything. It has very little effect on insects that do not actually feed on plant tissues or juices. It works as an anti-feedant as well as a growth regulator.

o

Check here
http://cisr.ucr.edu/bagrada_bug.html

Here is a link that might be useful: bagrada bug

o

Thanks guys for helping with the ID - I will research alternative methods for getting rid of them. I guess the garden supply store is only slightly more helpful than Home Depot which is not at all helpful LOL

o

I'm not saying that neem isn't a good tool for you to use....I was simply trying to clarify the description used. Neem will probably help prevent continuous feeding and reproduction of these pests, but don't expect them to drop dead in an instant. Neem doesn't work like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here