Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Tomato horn worm and squash bugs

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

Never had either of these in this concentrations. We have tried hand picking the hornworms without success. I have sprayed spinosad last week but still seeing damage. I figure I will apply again tomorrow.

We also have squash bugs like I have never seen. We always used diotomatious earth and hand picking in the past but this year we can't keep up.

I don't know what to use on the squash bugs, I sprayed them with spinosad as well but it diddnt seem to phase them.

Any advice would be appriciated. We don't generally use any major sprays and the like beyond the DE and spinosad.

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

How many tomato plants do you have? Hand removal can be a pain in the neck, but rewarding at the same time. Learn to find the young (tiny) caterpillars AND the eggs while doing your searching.

Same with the the stinkbugs, squash bugs. Those eggs will be found in identifiable clusters.

Many people have claimed success with the true bugs (squash, stink, leaffooted) with simple insecticidal soap applications. It should be applied directly to the insects as it has no residual effects. Commercial soaps have fewer environmental ramifications than your DE and spinosad, which can have long term effects in the garden, causing problems for a very wide range of critters, including the beneficials.

The soaps, though broad spectrum, becomes inaffective once dry. Think about it.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

How many tomato plants do you have? Hand removal can be a pain in the neck, but rewarding at the same time. Learn to find the young (tiny) caterpillars AND the eggs while doing your searching.

Same with the the stinkbugs, squash bugs. Those eggs will be found in identifiable clusters.

Many people have claimed success with the true bugs (squash, stink, leaffooted) with simple insecticidal soap applications. It should be applied directly to the insects as it has no residual effects. Commercial soaps have fewer environmental ramifications than your DE and spinosad, which can have long term effects in the garden, causing problems for a very wide range of critters, including the beneficials.

The soaps, though broad spectrum, becomes inaffective once dry. Think about it.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Diamotaceous Earth, DE, is a passive insect control method and the target insect must crawl over dry DE and get the exoskeleton scratched pretty good for it to work. Most everything I have seen about using DE against Squash Bugs is that it is not very effective.
    Spinosad is touted as the latest greatest pesticide to come down the pike and is supposed to be both a contact poison and on that works by ingestion as a stomach poison. Because Spinosad has great adverse affects on the bees caution in use is strongly recommended. Some sources maintain that Spinosad kills insect pests but does not harm beneficials, but because of its mode of action that seems very unlikely, I doubt that the bacteria would be able to tell the difference. While Spinosad is listed for the Tomato Hornworm I would suspect that, like Bacillus thuringiensis-Kurstaki, the age of the larva may limit its effectiveness.
    Some people tell me that they find Neem Oil products to be more effective then Spinosad.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have about 400 foot total of tomatoes. The damage from the horn worm seems to be isolated. We concentrated our efforts there but only found one. In the other patch we diddnt find anything.

The squash bugs are everywhere, corn, lettuce squash, beans. Never seen them this bad. I have squished tons of eggs, they are easy to find. Well relatively so. Even hand picked for a week or so we just have so much planted that I can't hand pick it all.

Spinosad hasn't been the best experience ever, I. Was expecting more from such a broad spectrum product. We will try neem oil and soap, been wanting to try both. We really need to find something that works. We get mired down trying not to use insecticides and it just gets worse.