Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this small worm on tomato plant?

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 5:55

Most of my tomato plants have been decimated by this little worm. Even at 1/4"(1/16" wide) long they can make the edge of a leaf curl all the way over their green bodies, although on a larger leaf only a portion of the edge will curl over(or be folder over). They eat at the leaves, but the major damage seems to be after they have departed...a lot of the leaves seem to dry up, turning brown and easily crumbled. I'm not sure if this damage is caused by some chemical they secrete, or a virus.

I've included some photos of this worm. It's not a hornworm, and I'm pretty sure it's not a fruit worm (too green). I'm trying to catch the adult moth with a bug zapper, which is working, but I'm not sure which moth it is. I think it's a moth that's about 1/2" long with long thin wings (different from most moths that have wide full wings). At least that's what I see flying around the tomato plants the most at night.

Any comments?

Image link: Can you identify this small worm on tomato plant? (33 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this small worm on tomato plant?

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 6:05

I forgot to mention that I've had very few tomato fruits, and although there have been two small red tomatoes with black worm holes, these worms are doing fine with the leaves; they don't seem to need fruit to survive and turn into moths.

o

There are many different moths whose larva will roll leaves up, for protection, while they eat the leaf and grow to adulthood. The simplest control for these is to simply squish them in the leaf. There are also moths that lay eggs that become the larva that are known as the Tomato Fruitworm and is the same as the European Corn Earworm that get inside your tomato fruit. The only control there is to find the eggs they will hatch from and destroy them.

o

Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 20:11

Actually, there are other controls...I'm currently using a bug zapper, for example, and there may be attractants for certain moths. And safer soap is supposed to work. But I need to identify this worm and it's adult moth form. Anyone?

o

Try posting over on the Butterfly forum; they really know their caterpillars. Or maybe the Tomato Pest & Disease forum.

o

Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 4:17

Great idea, I didn't know about the Tomato Pest forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here