Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillar ID?

Posted by mooseling Z5 CO (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 6:15

I've noticed that there's quite a few small black and yellow caterpillars on my house. They're half an inch long or smaller and slightly fuzzy. I tried googling it and they do look a lot like Harrisina americana larvae, but according to what I found, that species isn't found in Colorado. I did find mention of Harrisina brillians which is in Colorado, but they caterpillars I have don't really look like the pictures I've found. Also I would think they would be on the grape plants if they were one of those species. I haven't seen any on the grapes at all or any plants. Just on the house itself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillar ID?

You're caterpillar is the larva of the spotted tussock moth. You can read about it in the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Spotted tussock moth

o

'Slightly fuzzy' doesn't seem to fit the Spotted Tussock Moth caterpillar. He's a cute thing, isn't he?

Hopefully, mooseling will get back to us with an affirmation or an improved description. Some pictures would even be better!

o

It's definitely not that. I couldn't tell that these guys were fuzzy until I tried petting one. I'll try to get some pictures of them tomorrow!

o

Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. My regular camera's not working and all I had is my phone camera.

o

Well, I'd sure guess that it's a Western Grape Leaf Skeletonizer, but you say no?

o

That's my guess too. I think the first one I examined closely looked a bit different. All the other ones I've looked at look like the western grape leaf skeletonizer. Now my only question is why haven't we seen them on the grapes (or any plant for that matter) and why are they crawling all over the side of the house? Any ideas?

o

It's not totally unusual for an insect to become disoriented and lay eggs in places they shouldn't. I've seen lots of eggs on the siding of homes, on screen doors and windows, etc. WHO KNOWS why? Not me, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting your pictures and your story. It reminds us that there are exceptions to every rule concerning any living organism.

o

Be careful petting caterpillars... I've had a few nasty stings from the more decorated ones.

o

I've had a few nasty stings from the more decorated ones

How many times did it take you to learn NOT to touch them?
I haven't been stung yet but have seen a few pretty ones. Here's recent pictures of the mildly irritating white marked tussock moth cat.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

One time I took a step and felt a sting on my ankle. Looked down and a big puffy green one was on my shoelace. Apparently the lace swung up and hit my ankle. It wasn't like a bee sting as far as pain, but it was swollen for a few days...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here