Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spinich & Eggs

Posted by madferret UK 8b-9a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 6:21

Ive got these on my perpetual spinach. I clean them off but something keeps dropping them again, any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22085785@N07/4944305165

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spinich & Eggs

They look somewhat like one of the sawfly larva.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Sawfly

o

#1 Tough to tell from the picture but I'd say sawfly larvae is a good guess.

#2 Looks more like currant than spinach

o

Perpetual 'Spinach' is Beta vulgaris, a member of the beet, chard family (Chenopodiaceae).

o

Huh, learn something new every day. If I heard it from anyone else I'd think they were pulling my leg. Sounds like something from dungeons and dragons.

"I smite the dragon and feed the entire village with my +5 of rusack of perpetual spinach".

(No, I did not date a lot in high school)

o
eggs

rusack = rucksack (sigh, not my day)

o

The little White bits don't move and are lined in little rows, an indeed it is a member of the chard family, ok raw, better cooked (IMO)

I did find a big catepiller today, no idea where that came from. :0)

Does the UK have sawflies?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 10:55

BBC, garden pests - "Sawflies affect a number of different plants but different types tend to affect different crops. Some of the most common are the apple sawfly (hoplocampa testudinae), the common gooseberry sawfly (Nematus ribesii), the turnip sawfly (Athalia rosae) the pear and cherry 'slugworm' (Caliroa cerasi), the rose slug sawfly (Endelomyia aethiops), also known as the rose 'skeletoniser'. "

o

Oooh, sawflies are probably EVerywhere! But, I have to say that I don't really think that your pests look like sawflies, at least not to me. But my spectacles probably need adjusting.

Little caterpillars grow up to be BIG caterpillars in a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here