Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simbasjim

Fantastic Cat Repellent

simbasjim
18 years ago

I have finally found a cat repellent that works. My neighborhood cats were constantly using my garden as a toilet and digging up my plants, as well as fighting on my patio at night. I tried many types of liquids, sprays and pellets. They just didn't work.

I finally installed a cat repellent fence, it took about one hour to install, I can now safely garden without digging up cat doo. I fully recommend this as the best cat repellent ever, It does not harm the cats and there are no chemicals that constantly need replacing. A thin wire that has a small pulse going through it is installed either around your garden or around your yard, keeps cats and dogs out. Somehow they can sense it and do not cross it. I purchased it online at http://www.catrepellent.org I am very happy to recommend it to anyone.

Comments (13)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I see that you and this product are both from New Zealand. Do you help sell it? Pesky cats and dogs are a common complaint in this forum. The site you attached doesn't really have a lot of information about how this works....where can one find scientific data or at least a better web site?

• DPallas
    18 years ago

Looking over the "Installation" page, it appears to be a minature or light-duty version of an ordinary electric fence intended for livestock. You can get systems like that, specifically low-powered for pets, not livestock, in the US. One even runs off two "D" batteries. Found these in a quick google search; I know nothing about them, don't sell them, and have no connection to the company selling them.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden systems for pets and small animals

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Cat Deterrents for your Garden:

Keep in mind that each cat is different (like people), a deterrent that works for one may not necessarily work for another. On the plus side, most cats will keep pesty squirrels, moles and other critters out of your garden. They're great for keeping out moles, rabbits, squirrels, and other critters which can do more damage in your garden than a cat ever will. If the cats have owners, talk to them without being confrontational. The cat owner who allows his cat to damage other peoples' property is as guilty as the cat hater who kills the cat for trespassing. Remember, cats will be cats, and it is unfair of us to blame them for being what they are and how nature intended them to participate in this world.� After-all, we praise them when they catch mice or rats or other creatures we deem to be 'pests'.

* amonia soaked (corncobs, etc)
    * aluminum foil
    * bamboo skewers
    * black pepper
    * blood meal fertilizer
    * bramble cuttings
    * Carefresh - "recycled" wood pulp
    * catnip - donated into your neighbor's yards (so they'll stay in their own yards)
    * cedar compost
    * chicken wire (metal or plastic)
    * cinnamon
    * citrus peels
    * citrus spray
    * cocoa bean shells
    * coffee grounds -fresh & unbrewed, not just a light sprinkling (highly recommended by MANY Gardenwebbers!)
    * dogs
    * electric fence for animals
    * essence of orange. essence of lemon, lime (citrus essential oils)
    * fresh manure(ditto)
    * garlic cloves
    * gumballs from the Sweet Gum Tree
    * gutter covers
    * hardware cloth
    * heavy bark mulch
    * holly leaves
    * keep the area damp, they like dry soil
    * lavender
    * liquid manure (good for your garden too)
    * motion sensor sprinkler
    * pennyroyal
    * pinecones
    * pipe tobacco
    * plastic forks
    * predator urine
    * red wine vinegar
    * river rocks over the exposed soil
    * rocks, crushed
    * rose bush clippings
    * rue, an herb (Ruta graveolens) (highly recommended in plant form only)
    * short twigs throughout the planted area about 6" apart
    * six-inch bamboo skewers (pointy side up)
    * Spray on your leaves (not the cat): fill a spray bottle with 1/2 t chili powder, 1/2 t cayenne pepper, 1 t dish soap and water
    * squirt gun with water
    * talk to your neighbors
    * tansy
    * thorny berry, lilac, hawthorn, rose clippings
    * toothpicks
    * upside down vinyl carpet
    * vinegar sprayed on areas where they roam
    * water bottle on "stream"

NOT RECOMMENDED:
    *** chili powder, red crushed pepper, cayenne pepper (NOT recommended), it gets on the cat's paws then they wash themselves and they get it in their eyes, beware cats have literally scratched their eyes out because of this. Even if it's one cat out of 500 infected in this way, that's one too many for me.
    *** Don't ever use mothballs or flakes. Those little toxic waste pellets destroy cats' kidney function, could seriously harm people who handle them, and yes, contaminate your own garden soil. Their packaging even warns against using them this way.

Give them their own areas:

(To keep them out of where you don't want them)
    (If you don't mind them protecting your garden from other critters)

+ pick the cat up and bring it to eye level with the plant to see and smell it up close. She noted that once her cat has seen and sniffed at the plant, she usually doesn't bother with it later.

+ give them their own plants - i.e., pots of grass for her to chew on and a place in a large planted container on her balcony with some miscanthus grass in it (the cat likes to curl up in that for some reason)

+ if the cats are strictly indoors and attracted to your houseplants, grow catgrass for them. If someone forced you to remain inside one enclosed structure all your life, you might be attracted to the plants too.

+ Barley Grass
    + Any type of "catgrass" from the pet store
    + Carex elata 'Bolwes Golden' but put it in some shade
    + Catmint Nepeta mussinicultivars (Simply put, Catmints are Catnips without any culinary or feline use. In any case, they are, however, phenomenal, long flowering, hardy perennials that belong in every fairie or flower garden.)
    + Catnip Nepeta cataria (in your own yard) The oils of which also work as a mosquito repellent that works 10 times better than Deet! Catmint is the common name for all varieties of Nepeta. Catnip is the common name for the specific variety of Nepeta called nepeta cataria, which is the variety that cats are most attracted to.
    + Cat Thyme (Teucrium marum)
    + Flax
    + Oat Grass
    + Jacob's Ladder
    + Lemon Grass
    + Loose soil and mulch like small bark mulch
    + Mints
    + Purple Fountain Grass so the cat lays in the long leaves all day. Maybe put something in that the cats really like and - you know cats won't winky were they like to hang out.
    + Sandy area
    + Silver vine (Actinidia polygama)
    + Striped Ribbon Grass (can be invasive)
    + Sweet grass
    + Trificum aestivum (type of cat grass)
    + Various Varieties of Cat Mints (Catnips)
    + Wheat Grass
    + Wheat Berries
    + Valerian

This list compiled by Violet_Z6, email at violet_z6@yahoo.com for comments and suggestions regarding this list.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

If you look at the bottom of the operation page it states is not suitable for use in the US.

Violet add lemon grass to your list. My kitties seem to like rubbing the leaf part on their teath and gums. They continue doing it green or dry so although I think it would cut the gums.

• kiwijack
    17 years ago

Hi guys, I was looking up my friend's site on Google (the catrepellent.org one) just to see how it's placed and found this thread. The system is actually really good and is basically a miniature electric fence like someone said above but the shock is enough to deter animals (cats, birds etc) from coming along or over your fence so Mikes place is cat free and for the cost of a few cents of electricity a year. Without being a salesman for the system I have to say that it's brilliantly simple and if I had any trouble with cats I'd go for it in a heartbeat. Cheers, Jack

Here is a link that might be useful: electric fence cat repellent solution site

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I have a Fishock electric fence around my pond because of raccoons. Would work on cats/dogs too and is available in the US at Petco and Petsmart.

It was about fifty bucks.

• ronalawn82
    10 years ago

kiwijack & simbasjim - one and the same?

• LexiF
    10 years ago

Hey violet_z6
    Thanks for such a comprehensive list of things to try! im at my wits end and was contemplating moth balls as a last ditch. I don't fancy the idea of having cat repelling wires in the garden!

• cgollahon26
    9 years ago

I am about to build my first square foot garden bed, and I am wondering if anyone has had cats dig in their beds with the square foot grid laid on top? (Wood or string, but I will make mine out of wood) My cat recently took to digging in my potting soil i dumped from last year and using it as a litter box. (Yikes... I won't be using that to grow veggies.... Probably marigolds). Can anyone tell me if the square foot grid has helped (or not) keeping the cats out? It seems like they wouldn't be able to dig horizontally very far. Please let me know any of your experience as my research hasn't helped with this specific question!

• LogicalMind
    9 years ago

I think if cats trespass & damage my plants & property, I should have every right to exterminate it (Like any other pest). I should not be forced to spend money on countless solutions that simply don't work.I've found that snares and traps do wonders.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Make that argument to the judge and see how far it gets you !

Dennis

• wichtel
    8 years ago

Well said DMForcier(8 DFW) ! LogicalMInd you are not at all clued up about this; hurting any animal in any form or way is a criminal offence and the law is not on your side - whatever your opinion and wether you like it or not!