Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small black rat snake

Posted by tom_nwnj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 8:55

I caught a 3' long rat snake in the basement yesterday. The critter was climbing the stairs, looking to get into the kitchen. He's out in the woods now, but ...

Can a snake that size (a constrictor) attack a 10 pound house cat (both cats HAVE claws and all their teeth). I think not, but just want to know if any have an opinion on that.

And if this snake could not attach a cat, could a 6' long rat snake do that? Just wonderin'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small black rat snake

Your cats are safe. A 3' long, 1" wide snake is looking for mice and very small rats. We are talking about the slender bodied rat snake, right?

A 6' long, 3" wide snake could be a danger to a small cat but the snake would probably run away from the cat. If that snake is heavy bodied enough to weigh 20 pounds or so, then that is a different story.

o

Thanks Greg. Yes, the one in the house was a slender snake.

A 3" wide snake couldn't get under the doors.

I guess the wife's cats will be OK.

o

Even though Rat Snakes do dine on small mammals I have not heard of one attacking a cat which would be about four times as large as a chipmunk, or more. Also, contrary to some myths, these snakes do not wrap themselves around prey and squeeze as a constrictor would. While they do wrap themselves around tree branches that is to hold on and is not a means of obtaining prey.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Rat Snakes

o

Kimmsr, Rat snakes ARE constrictors and that is exactly how they subdue their prey. Your attached link clearly says that.

o

Don't forget the other food item of rat snakes...probably mentioned in the link someone provided. Rat snakes also eat other snakes. Encourage your rat snake to hang out. You may get startled when you see him now and then but he will eat copperheads and other small snakes.

o

You betchum rat snakes are constrictors.

o

I'm not sure that encouraging snakes to hang out in the basement is a good idea. I'd be carefully evicting him to the garden and making every effort to seal all of the possible entries for small snakes, mice, and other critters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here