Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goji Berry Plant Leaves Falling Off

Posted by Greenhorn2 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 9:30

Hi...anyone familiar with the Goji Berry Plant ?....i'm growing 2 in pots and all the lower leaves have come off, don't know if it's dying or this is normal, any help ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goji Berry Plant Leaves Falling Off

Please post an image.

Then tell us how it's being grown in the pot. You can start with the following:
Potting mix or ground soil?
Indoors or out?
How do you decide to water? (eg: "because it's Saturday")
Any fertilizer?
If so, what kind, the dose, and how often?
Prevailing temps?
Hours of sunlight every day?

This post was edited by jean001a on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 14:41

o

Hi....As you can see my plants are up against a fence with Direct Sun, there in 3 gallon pots with potting soil/topsoil mix.......i've been watering them couple times a week, don't know what to make of these plants as they shed very easy, now the botttom leaves of 1 plant are all gone, maybe normal since Falls coming ?
lil bit of Fertilizer, water mixed every couple weeks this spring ( All Purpose )...temps 70-85 now.....was in high 90's this summer
don't know what else to add here.

o

you have rather small black pots.. in full sun????

you are cooking the roots... which is not a water issue.. its a temp issue

the pot itself.. needs to be in full shade .. while the plant is in sun ...

ken

o

It is normal when new growth is green soon turn gray and leaves fall off gray then come some buds on gray be new limb Goji is fast renewer they grow like hedge I have 2 in grounds doing same as yours mind more bushy than yours. they need to be in ground not pot.

o

• Posted by skyjs z8 OR, USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 0:57

Mine got killed by slugs. I tied a woman's panty hose around them and the slugs hated crawling over it so much they left it alone to grow. it came back.
John S
PDX OR

o

i am inclined to agree with Gator's points.

I have a big plant in a very big container. Now it is blooming. The plant is bushy and the lower leaves are getting yellow. I think Goji is a deep rooted plant it could be much better planting in deep big container or in ground.

I posted a question in container gardening forum about fertilization, I did not get any answer. I think many of them are not growing goji OR may be I am not a member of any fan club, I hate fan club :-) or may be my English could not be understandable :-). I have seen many forums, A posted B follows, B posted A follows :-). Do not be serious, PLEASE.

I asked a question, if I got the answer that's good for the forum, someone can learn from the questions and answers that's forum needs. if I do not get the answer I'd try to other places. It is normally we do. Sorry, a bit off the subject.

I grow chili so I fertilize my goji just like chili. My goji lower leaves are not falling but yellowing and I consider it is normal. It grows like vine.

Caelian

o

Does any know what is the lifespan of a Goji tree? I'm asking because I want to be ready on when to plant a new goji seedling to place the old one.

TIA

o

A brief search found info that says 4 to 5 years.
See http://mason.gmu.edu/~hriaz3/project/plant/plant.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: goji

This post was edited by jean001a on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 22:45

o

• Posted by u2dan 7 Boston (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 22:09

I have a small goji in a small pot. It lost all of its leaves when t got cold. I brought it in, but it looks dead. I tried to snap a branch to see if it was dried out, but it isn't, its pliable and doesn't break. Is it still alive?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here