Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhorn4sur

Goji Berry Plant Leaves Falling Off

Greenhorn2
10 years ago

Hi...anyone familiar with the Goji Berry Plant ?....i'm growing 2 in pots and all the lower leaves have come off, don't know if it's dying or this is normal, any help ?

Comments (16)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Please post an image.

Then tell us how it's being grown in the pot. You can start with the following:
    Potting mix or ground soil?
    Indoors or out?
    How do you decide to water? (eg: "because it's Saturday")
    Any fertilizer?
    If so, what kind, the dose, and how often?
    Prevailing temps?
    Hours of sunlight every day?

This post was edited by jean001a on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 14:41

• Greenhorn2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi....As you can see my plants are up against a fence with Direct Sun, there in 3 gallon pots with potting soil/topsoil mix.......i've been watering them couple times a week, don't know what to make of these plants as they shed very easy, now the botttom leaves of 1 plant are all gone, maybe normal since Falls coming ?
    lil bit of Fertilizer, water mixed every couple weeks this spring ( All Purpose )...temps 70-85 now.....was in high 90's this summer
    don't know what else to add here.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you have rather small black pots.. in full sun????

you are cooking the roots... which is not a water issue.. its a temp issue

the pot itself.. needs to be in full shade .. while the plant is in sun ...

ken

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

It is normal when new growth is green soon turn gray and leaves fall off gray then come some buds on gray be new limb Goji is fast renewer they grow like hedge I have 2 in grounds doing same as yours mind more bushy than yours. they need to be in ground not pot.

• skyjs
    10 years ago

Mine got killed by slugs. I tied a woman's panty hose around them and the slugs hated crawling over it so much they left it alone to grow. it came back.
    John S
    PDX OR

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

i am inclined to agree with Gator's points.

I have a big plant in a very big container. Now it is blooming. The plant is bushy and the lower leaves are getting yellow. I think Goji is a deep rooted plant it could be much better planting in deep big container or in ground.

I posted a question in container gardening forum about fertilization, I did not get any answer. I think many of them are not growing goji OR may be I am not a member of any fan club, I hate fan club :-) or may be my English could not be understandable :-). I have seen many forums, A posted B follows, B posted A follows :-). Do not be serious, PLEASE.

I asked a question, if I got the answer that's good for the forum, someone can learn from the questions and answers that's forum needs. if I do not get the answer I'd try to other places. It is normally we do. Sorry, a bit off the subject.

I grow chili so I fertilize my goji just like chili. My goji lower leaves are not falling but yellowing and I consider it is normal. It grows like vine.

Caelian

• RarePrutas
    10 years ago

Does any know what is the lifespan of a Goji tree? I'm asking because I want to be ready on when to plant a new goji seedling to place the old one.

TIA

• jean001a
    10 years ago

A brief search found info that says 4 to 5 years.
    See http://mason.gmu.edu/~hriaz3/project/plant/plant.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: goji

This post was edited by jean001a on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 22:45

• thewavey
    9 years ago

Hello, does anyone know what the warped leaves are about? Possibly root bound? or a nutrient deficiency or efficiency?

• Persimmons
    9 years ago

I purchased Goji from Seven Arrows in Attleboro/North Seekonk. They had information from the seeder that "it was best grown as a trailing vine".

I planted mine in the ground, and have been lashing up the vines to a nearby fence. It's profusely flowering and shows no yellowing or leaf-fall. It's in full sun, amended clay soil. I'm unsure of the exact chemistry, but the soil is not the best for gardening. What a pleasant surprise the plant is!

• tcwlaurad
    7 years ago

I have 2 Goji trees in the ground and almost all the leaves have fallen off both of them. I'm not sure what to do

• Greenhorn2
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the leaves do come off, not sure if it was from overwatering or heat or stress but mine do eventually come off...i only have 1 potted plant so i'm not an expert on these

Posting a picture or 2 helps

• zzackey
    7 years ago

I have my Goji berry in a black 3 gallon nursery pot in partial shade. It has never dropped any leaves. I got it in April and I have never fertilized it. It looks quite happy.

• A J
    7 years ago

Lycium chinense version grown from seed and have the same thing. 12-30" twigs that put out new leaves then aborts them. I can only think the humidity and heat is what is doing it. I have every permutation possible. In-ground vs potted. Peat, coir, compost, etc.

The only one that has kept leaves green but has very stunted growth is the one in pure shade that I never once watered.

• zzackey
    7 years ago

Your command of the English language is perfect to me. Gardenweb is basically a dead site compared to years ago before Houzz took it over.