Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
broccoli seedlings, carrots eaten

Posted by Peter1142 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 9:44

Someone went and ate all the leaves off my nice looking broccoli seedlings. And all the leaves off the carrots. Most stems are intact.

Also last week someone went and clean cut all the leaves off my mostly bolted lettuce, leaving the stem.

There is a 6 foot fence around the garden, and I don't see any obvious signs of digging.

Any ideas who could have done it? Disheartening as there is a fence... Haven't seen any rabbits but lots of groundhogs in the area, turkeys, and birds. SE NY.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: broccoli seedlings, carrots eaten

Maybe it's a caterpillar? I have had beautiful butterflies (black swallowtail) leave their evil spawn in my herb gardens, and destroy them within days. It's amazing how much damage just one of them can do. I now check daily for eggs to catch them before they get me.

o

I doubt a caterpillar can cut full size lettuse leaves straight off? Perhaps the broccoli and carrots...

Fall planting has not been going well, pest pressure is very high...

o

Sounds like rabbits or voles, to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here