Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watermelons, okay to eat?

Posted by melvee 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 4, 11 at 10:33

i tried watermelons this year, Sugar Baby variety. the leaves started a beautiful green but lately have faded to a lime green with brown spots and something that looks like a white chalk on the leaves. the melons are still a beautiful dark green and they are unblemished. what is wrong with the leaves and does it affect the fruit at all? thanks everyone!

Image link: watermelons, okay to eat? (12 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watermelons, okay to eat?

From poor resolution foto, looks like nutrient deficiency. Impossible to tell how it will affect flavor.

Dan

o

well then how do i get the picture better? i had to resize them this small to even post them to this page. how can i get them better?

o

"White chalk" suggests powdery mildew. Very common on squash & melon.

o

Tutorial on picture posting at the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Pix

o

The white powdery stuff does look like Powdery Mildew, common on many plants when the weather turns hot and humid. Easily controlled by sprays of 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 quart of water, or a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water applied every 5 to 7 days.
The light green leaves may indicate a nutrient deficiency, a lack of soil moisture (which creates a nutrient deficiency), or maybe a too wet soil which does the same thing as not enough soil moisture.
The brown spots could be from insect activity. Numerous insects can cause them.

o

White chalk could be anything. Molting leaves can cause a white forum to spread like a virus through your plants, but is just discolouration and no real harm, though I've made the mistake and jumped to conclusions that I had powdery mildew because of it.

Interesting, despite treating for powdery mildew, I still got the real thing on my pumpkins, but perhaps I didn't keep spraying long enough with cornell's solution.

There are quite a few diseases that cause brown rusty spots, but I can't quite all the details now. So far my Sugar Babys have been growing well this year, though I did start quite late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here