Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple leaf plum - what is happening

Posted by VK12345 North Western NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 10:44

Hi
We are new owners of a house (2 yrs) that has two Purple leaf plum trees. This summer, the leaves of the trees are showing a bad disease (I think). Can someone please tell me what this is ? A couple of Rose plants far away from the trees also shows similar manifestations. But strangely, they still flower.

The picture is attached. I also have another one and can click more if that gives everyone a better idea

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple leaf plum - what is happening

I'd take a sample to your local office of your Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service for identification and any treatment suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers CES

o

i would call it a bug...

and considering all the leaves will be falling off in a month or two.. i would ignore such ...

those leaves.. even as they are.. are functioning on the plant.. but for you taking them off ...

plagues of bugs come and go over the years... you need not presume ever one that comes along.. must be slaughtered ...

as a newb.. my biggest suggestion is to ignore such ...

a given plague.. can even completely defoliate a tree.. and the tree will releaf and move on with life ...

learning what it is ... is knowledge. and knowledge is power ..

but please... unless you see that the tree is dying ... dont go bat carp crazy spraying all kinds of things onto it ... for a transitory problem ...

full fall cleanup never hurts.. to make sure you dont encourage it into next season ...

ken

o

Suspect the culprits are pear slugs which are possibly gone by now. Looks like it happened a while ago. see link for info (for next year)

Only thing to do this year is to follow ken's suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: pear slug

o

Thanks for the replies. A follow up based on those.
One, I don't remember seeing any pear slugs (I googled for their images). And this is on *almost all* the leaves of the two trees.
Secondly, I have attached another picture. Notice the black spots. It is on those spots that the leaf disintegrates. I am fairly certain that this problem is still occurring because I am tracking a few leaves and they have progressed from black spots to holes over the last few days.
Given this information, what is the prognosis ?
Thanks again for the help.

o

• Posted by VK12345 North Western NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 15:21

Hi

I was wondering if there were some further hints as to what was causing problems. Are these black spots indicative of the slugs ?

What care should I take for next year when the leaves come back. I am presuming this year is a goner. Can I do something that will help me next year ?

Thanks for the help
vk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here