Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash Bugs

Posted by mrboyd 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 11:00

I live in NW Georgia and started gardening in raised beds in the summer of 2007. In 2007 and 2008 I had very few bug problems. In 2009 I started seeing squash bugs but they did not do much damage. In 2010 they wiped out my yellow squash and zucchini by mid June then moved to my cucumbers and wiped them out by mid July. I have used only organic fertilizers and pesticides but they are not having any affect on these bugs. Anyone have a solution or suggestion.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash Bugs

Controlling the various insects that affect the cucurbit (squashes, melons, cucumbers, gourds) family is a multifaceted approach problem. Some people have found that planting an Icycle Radish with each of these plants helps, however not just any radish works. Some people start the plants out under Floating Row Covers, but they do need to be removed for pollination and then the pests get to them. Some "authorities" maintain theat good garden sanitation, cleaning up all plant debris, helps but many of us have not seen that to be very effective because that also eliminates overwintering places for the predators. Crop rotation is also not very good since the various pests can fly very well over long distances.
The link below summerizes known, organic, control measures quite well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash pest control

o
RE: Squash Bugs

I wouldn't depend on the advice from a person that doesn't even know what a squash bug nymph looks like or even know what a garden pest is but probably don't have to tell you. kimmsr doesn't have any pests because they/it has great soil and plants that just don't get pests but they/ it has perfectly organized tobacco hornworms that will find their garden after being tossed several yards and yet has aphids that loose their way from a spray of water lol.
The link however has some good info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here