Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squirrel!!! should I just feed them??

Posted by dancer40 9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 11:21

So I am a novice gardener and I love birds-feeding the birds attacted squirrels and now I can't get rid of them-tried cayenne pepper dried over plants and the spray and its not really helping. I used feeders that are cakes so there is no more seed on the ground, but when there is less seed they go for the plants. This is so frustrating. If I stop feeding the birds do you think the squirrels will eventually go away? Or do I just feed them. I don't care if they eat bird food I just want them off my plants and veggies. I am also worried that if I do feed them I will have 10 or 20 instead of just the usual 2 or 3 culptrits that hang around. No I won't shoot or kill them. It's not in my nature to do that. I love watching the birds but if it means I can get rid of the squirrels I might just do that. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squirrel!!! should I just feed them??

I'd be very hesitant about feeding squirrels. Have you tried dusting the seed with plenty of cayenne pepper powder? It's always worked for me. The birds can't detect the heat but the squirrels can.

Another thing you can do is to provide a couple of bird baths and forget the feeders. Locate the baths someplace that is readily accessible to a hose so that you can keep them rinsed, cleaned, and filled. You'll have plenty of bird activity.

o

We have a few bird baths and I doused the seed cakes with a lot of dried cayanne pepper and was watching the squirrel eat the seed and it was rubbing it's eyes. Then afterwards it went and drank a lot of water from the bird bath so I guess they are getting used to the pepper. Ugh....

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 18:32

Squirrels will chew on your plants when they are hungry....feeding them discourages that. Squirrels also chew on my house....and feeding them discourages that behavior but also attracts more squirrels...so you are dammed if you do and...you know!
Also I find that when things are dry, the squirrels will chew my more "juicy" plants....so I am careful to provide squirrel water.
Yes...I am a slave to squirrels and their threats.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here