Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandi3214

Something is eating holes in my flowers! PLease HELP!

Brandi3214
9 years ago

I love gardening but I'm fairly new at it. I've noticed something is eating up my flowers. It all started with one of my black eyed susans.. First I noticed holes in the leaves then within a matter of days it has eaten the whole thing up except them stem and beginning to spread to my clematis that I have planted next to it.. I also have Rainbow lantana planted in this bed as well. As far as I can tell it hasn't attacked my Lantana yet. I need to know what kind pesticide or treatment can be used to treat this ASAP. Also, can the same pesticide be used for all plants or are there specific ones for specific types of flowers? I live in south Ga on a pecan grove if that helps, and we have had some dry spells here lately. I do water my flowers daily so they shouldn't be lacking in that dept. Please, helpful advice would greatly be appreciated!

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

need a pic.. 'holes' isnt very insightful .. for us to guess at anything other than something is eating holes ...

ken

• Gairid
    9 years ago

There are quite a few insects that enjoy rudbeckia; as ken_adrian mentioned, a picture of the damage might be the best way to target what it might be. I've had various caterpillars, snacking on mine and in another area it was weevils and aphids. Aphid damage wouldn't look like holes in the petals or leaves, though and you would definitely notice them.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Very little will eat lantana, so it's probably safe.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Pictures of damage is seldom of much use in identifying the pest because so many cause similar damage. If there were caterpillars, the larva of various moths and butterflies, you would see them because they do not munch and leave, as a rule. If what is eating those plants is a rabbit spraying with a pesticide will do nothing to deter them. You may get better answers from your local office of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Service.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Gotta take a major exception with kimmsr's comment that images of the actual damage is rarely useful. The fact is, such pictures can be very useful; more often than not.

An experienced person can match the pest to the physical evidence.....it happens in these forums on a daily basis.

Brandi, very few of us are willing to suggest pesticides or treatments without having a very good idea of what might be causing the problem. You can help, not only by taking some pictures of the damage, but being observant regarding pests.

Take your hand and shake/ruffle the plants to see if anything flies up, or to see if anything is hiding on the underside.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Gotta take a major exception with kimmsr's comment that images of the actual damage is rarely useful. The fact is, such pictures can be very useful; more often than not.

An experienced person can match the pest to the physical evidence.....it happens in these forums on a daily basis.

Brandi, very few of us are willing to suggest pesticides or treatments without having a very good idea of what might be causing the problem. You can help, not only by taking some pictures of the damage, but being observant regarding pests.

Take your hand and shake/ruffle the plants to see if anything flies up, or to see if anything is hiding on the underside.

• Brandi3214
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks ya'll! Yes I am aware that a picture may have been helpful to some of you trying to help. However, I couldn't and still can't get the picture to load. I went to our local garden center this morning and was able to show them a picture on my phone. They gave me a pesticide called Orthene. They told me moths and flea beetles were more than likely the critters attacking m plants. This pesticide will treat both of those and many others as well. Again, thanks so much for everyone's input. ;-)