Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

what killed an ate a skunk

and left nothing but some tail fur.. and a stink ...

crikey.. you gotta be desperate ... lol

and no.. no wild dingos in the area ...

ken

Comments (9)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I've seen body parts left by foxes, hawks, coyotes and owls in my yard. Something used my doormat to eat a rabbit and left me the fur and entrails. Interesting that the rabbit's colon is segmented to form those pellets.

Skunk, yuck.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I had to look it up, Ken because I figured whatever did was either truly desperate, or did not have the olfactory sense most mammals do. Great horned owls and red tailed hawks will attack a skunk and are impervious to the scent. Coyotes, dogs, fox and cougars will attacks skunks and eat them, and likely other animals as well. I'm putting my money on a coyote or a really stupid dog. I have seen dogs who just do not learn after having been sprayed and do it repeatedly.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Lol, calliope...I was thinking that it has to be a bird remembering how my cockatiel loved the hottest peppers I could find!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mink??? .. i heard they are one of the meanest animals.. and they also have a stink gland .... and they are in the area .....

since we are on the stink subject...

i heard.. that foxes.. actually outstink skunks .... not that they can spray... just that they stink.. comments????

ken

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

We had a family of foxes, mom and 3 kits, living in the rock hill by our driveway. They entertained us all around the property. No smell at all.

I did have to remove dead fish parts, a deer leg, and various chicken and other fowl carcasses from the yard daily. I had no rodents in the garden that year.

They left at summer''s end when we had the driveway regravelled. I found one dead on the road (I crried) and my neighbor shot one because it was eating her chickens. Sad. I made a wall quilt with some fabric I found, of the 3 kits by the edge of the woods, just like our little guys.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

My money is on a Great Horned owl. They kill them and take the head and then other critters finish the carcass off (if the owl doesn't return soon enough).

tj

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

We had a family of foxes, mom and 3 kits, living in the rock hill by our driveway. They entertained us all around the property. No smell at all.

I did have to remove dead fish parts, a deer leg, and various chicken and other fowl carcasses from the yard daily. I had no rodents in the garden that year.

They left at summer''s end when we had the driveway regravelled. I found one dead on the road (I crried) and my neighbor shot one because it was eating her chickens. Sad. I made a wall quilt with some fabric I found, of the 3 kits by the edge of the woods, just like our little guys.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

• calliope
    10 years ago

I don't think foxes stink......but they do have a unique aroma and the foxy scent is sometimes used to describe some flowers. Believe me, they do not reek like a skunk.