Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus with major Mealy Bug infestation

Posted by soundgarden z8/ New Orleans, La (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 12:30

My friend has a large hibiscus tree with a major mealy bug infestation. They are on the top and underside of every leaf and branch on the tree. She has been spraying with horticulture oils, soap and water and diluted alcohol. She finds plenty of dead bugs on the floor afterwards, but they still seem to be reproducing like crazy.
Is there anything else she can do to erradicate the bugs, or does it sound like the problem is too severe and she should get rid of it to save her other plants? I was thinking that, for a last ditch effort, she can spray a mixture of 50/50 veggie oil and rubbing alcohol and see what happens. I've read in a few places that windex with ammonia works, but she's scared to try this.
What do you think she should do?
Thanks, Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus with major Mealy Bug infestation

I'd suggest that she stop diluting the alcohol and mist it on full strength. She should at least give that a try.

I don't think that trying to mix alcohol with vegetable oil would work

o

soundgarden, mealy bugs infest also the surroundings- planters, walls and the like. Such areas also should be cleaned. As for the plant itself, she might remove the worst-infested parts. This will leave her a smaller plant to treat and will expose more of the pest to treatment. It sounds like a huge infestation and will require persistent work to bring it under control. Mealy bugs will migrate to the other plants so she should isolate the hibiscus if possible.

o

Mealy bugs are close relatives of Aphids and can be treated the same, spray with a sharp stream of water to knock them off the plant, repeating as necessary. There is no need to use Rubbing Alcohol (that can be harmful to plants) or any kind of oil. Since most all pests go after plants that are not as healthy as they should be check the soil these plants are growing in to be sure it is good and healthy and can grow a strong and healthy plant that will better withstand an insect invasion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here