Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's on my sweet potato leaf?

Posted by mwilkins none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:32

This substance looks like sugar was sprinkled all over the leaf of my indoor sweet potato vine. It is only on the top of the leaf and not on the underside. There is also some found on the vine itself. Any idea what it is or how to get rid of it? Also, the vines grow like crazy, but there does not seem to be much foliage. I'm assuming it is because of whatever this white stuff is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's on my sweet potato leaf?

My guess is this has been caused by guttation. Although I have never seen it on sweet potato, I've never grown it as a houseplant, but I have seen this on other houseplants. Some, when they are over watered, secrete the excess liquid from their stomata ( respirational pores on the upper sides of leaves). When and as this excess liquid dries, it leaves behind little crystals resembling sugar. You can just wash that off, it's soluable. Perhaps this is what is happening to your plant. I also suspect too low a light level, causing it to be very leggy.

o

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not yet convinced this is caused by guttation as I have not witnessed the moisture build up...and I inspect this plant often. I also noticed that with other guttation pictures, the moisture builds up only around the edges of the leaf. That is not the case here. Any other comments out there?

o

Does it wash off and melt like sugar? Do the leaves show damage after you wash it off?

o

Sweet potatoes are among the vegetables high in calcium oxalates, which can be exuded through plant pores (stomata) under certain conditions. It will form sand like crystals when it dries. The mechanism is not exactly like guttation in which a function of hydathodes exuding excess internal water.

I've never seen this in sweet potatoes, but I've never grown them (inside or outside) .

o

I will wash the leaves and see what happens. I don't think the substance is damaging the surface, but the leaves are curling. I'm not sure if this is related.

o

how to get rid of it?

===>>>> ummmmmmm ... go buy new sweet potato .. and start a new one???

keep that in mind.. if you decide you need to start spending money on curing this ...

no use spending say.. 5 bucks.. to cure a fitty cent potato ... lol ... yam.. whatever ....

ken

ps: all my houseplants.. in z5 MI .. are outside for summer.... makes me wonder about your indoor .. outdoor plant.. in heavy a/c .... anywhere near a cold air stream????? ... just shot gunning the thought process here ....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here