Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House Flies Dying on Plants - Parasitic Fungus?

Posted by santoro718 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 12:34

Here is a strange one:
My parents have a garden in Brooklyn NY, and in late summer, they seem to have a problem with house flies gathering around their plants to make a place for themselves to die. I think that they are being affected by some sort of parasitic fungus, but I am not sure which one. The problem has become a nuisance recently as the flies are now making their death beds in the Hydrangea - which my mother likes to dry out and use to decorate the house. I think that the problem may be associated with our rear neighbor's fig tree, as it seems that the problem has spread from that region to the rest of the garden.

Any ideas on how to get rid of these parasite ridden flies and prevent them from coming back? I have some pics attached.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House Flies Dying on Plants - Parasitic Fungus?

Here is another pic.

o

Why do you suspect they're parasitized?
Could they just be stuck on the leaf/stem?

o

The life span of most fly species is between 15 and 30 days, although that can be changed by applications of pesticides. Are you sure your neighbor did not spray a pesticide that might affect these flies?

o

This was discussed a few days ago. Entomophthora muscae is probably the parasitic fungus in this case, too. It affects houseflies and a few other related species.

It is nature's way of controlling flies and is not an issue to be 'fixed '. Scientists would like to find a way to make this fungus in the lab in order to market it to those for whom flies are a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here