Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red scale bug?

Posted by sphinx_face WA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 12:45

What is this? It doesn't seem to cause much harm to the plant, but there are lots of them all over the leaves of my lemon balm (and this blackberry)? Will they do anything to the plant to make them toxic to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red scale bug?

Perhaps red clover mites. Can't see enough detail to be certain.

o

Sorry, they look a lot like porphyrophora polonica, but I think those are only in Europe? They are so small I can't get a good picture... They don't seem to visably move either that's why I think it's some kind of scale?

o

Secure it/them in a clear container, take it to your county's Extension Service office for ID, then please post the answer here.

Locate your county's office with this map
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

o

Ah thanks! My past experiences with taking bugs to a nursery for ID and management has been very unrewarding.. Maybe this link will help, and I'll update when I can ;)

o

We'll be waiting!

o

If the Master Gardeners on the hot desk at your county office of the Washington State University Cooperative Extension Service office cannot ID what you have they can ask the county horticulturist. If the county horticulturist cannot ID that insect they have the resources of WSU at hand.
Far too few people use, or even know, of that readily available resource.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSU CES

o

Ok, you're all gonna laugh at me but I've figured it all out on my own... They are wood sorrel seeds!! I noticed how they got all over when I pulled the pods off to munch and at first was like, gross the bugs are in there but then I realized they could be seeds and looking them up proved that true. Haha well that's not so bad ;)

o

Thanks for the feedback. This is one you'll remember for the rest of your gardening life.

Don't feel embarrassed; other folks have made similar mistakes!

o

We're not laughing AT you, but with you. :-)

I think that you should still take some to the extension office just to test their knowledge! (Kidding...it might be embarrassing for them.)

o

At least it wasn't some sort of frass. That and osmocote are the most frequently 'mistaken for bugs' material photographed on this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here