Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these and do I need to kill them?

Posted by ehsteve (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 12:47

Found these critters on my pepper plants this morning:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I saw some stink beetles on them a week or so ago - are these baby stink bugs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these and do I need to kill them?

Yes, indeed they are. They're youngsters. And they're the nasty kind of stink bugs -- brown marmorated stink bug, aka BMSB, Halyomorpha halys. Easily IDd because of the white bands on the antennae.

And yes, you need to kill them.

If you have any doubts, read this from Penn State
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

Here is a link that might be useful: brown-marmorated-stink-bug

o

Careful when killing them. They are called Stink Bugs for a reason. These smell like rotting cilantro when squashed. I can't eat Mexican food after getting a whiff of these nasties! They've become a serious problem in the Mid-Atlantic states. They're everywhere. It gets so bad that some days I can't sit by the pool. Between the BMSB's and the Catalpa worms I'm about to give up going in my back yard!

o

So... looking through the pages here it sounds like the only reliable way to kill them is to physically squash them one at a time. Is that about right?

o

These smell like rotting cilantro when squashed.

==>> how in the world can you delineate rotting cilantro .. lol ... that just cracked me up .. lol

ken

o

I understood EXACTLY the smell when she said rotting cilantro. They do smell like cilantro....only in a putrid way. I love mexican food, but don't think cilantro smells all that good, even fresh. :-)

o

Despite news of less stink bugs this year, the populations of bmsb are exploding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here